Abortion debate help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter trobles
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trobles

Guest
I’m currently in an email discussion with an individual who appears to be pro-choice.

Does anyone know where I can find factual statistics on the number of abortions performed daily? I’ve heard the number at around 3,000 a day ( a 911 event equivilant).

I’d like to quote this source in my reply to this individual.

Some other sources for this topic would be helpful…I think this is going to be a lengthy discussion.

thanks
tim +<><
 
I have a brochure from Illinois Citizens for Life. The latest figures listed in this brochure show that there were more than 4,000 abortions each day in the United States in 1992 and 42 percent of these were repeat abortions. Many people seem to feel that abortion is okay if the mother’s health is at risk. According to this brochure only 3 percent of al abortions in the U.S. are performed because of danger to the mother’s life or physical health, rape or incest. Hope you can convince your friend that abortion is wrong and that it does kill. Remember - abortion stops a beating heart!
 
Thanks for your reply Keri & Pigtown.

I’ve heard the number 3,000 on EWTN programs and from various places, including my parish.

The websites and that I’ve visited don’t report on present day numbers. 2001 is the latest time frame that is listed:

www.nrlc.org/abortion /aboramt.html
www.ncbcenter.org

Hope these sites help out others.

trobles +<><
 
Not all states mandate reporting of the number of abortions, and even those that do have differeing requirements regarding surgical abortions, medical abortions, etc.

For example, in WI you can simply go to the state governement website, do a search, and pull up the PDF file showing the number of abortions by county. Not every state does this.

The CDC and some other government agencies have some statistics compiled from the states, but again state reporting is not uniform.

Even the Guttenmacher Institute has statistics on abortions per year, so you can get it straight from pro-abortion sources too.

All of these will be estimates, and I would say are a minimum. The true number is likely far more. Keep in mind that while many “abortion clinics” may report their numbers to places like Guttenmacher many private doctors and hospitals also do abortions and don’t report their numbers unless required by law. And, that varies by state.
 
What are their arguments for being pro-choice? This is an important piece since any reply must address the reasons for being pro-choice.
 
Also, if you are going to do any discussion on this topic I highly recomend you obtain a copy of Randy Alcorn’s book Pro-Life Answers to Pro-Choice Arguments. It is indespensible as a resource with both sound logic and volumous statistics.
 
Hi,
I would go to Psalm 139:13-16. Unless of course you are not trying to bring God into the debate.🙂
 
Between 1982-2002 in the US the best estimate is 25 million abortions. The vast majority were for unplanned pregnancis. When unplanned pregnancy is addressed better most of the issue is handled. They also list over 47 million total US abortions. Does your friend know of reasons why preventing the pregnancy does not work.

nrlc.org/abortion/facts/abortionstats.html
 
Why Do Women Have Abortions? - a statistical breakdown*
Responses listed as primary reason %

** Social Reasons (given as primary reason) **
- Feels unready for child/responsibility 25%
- Feels she can’t afford baby 23%
- Has all the children she wants/Other family responsibilities 19%
- Relationship problem/Single motherhood 8%
- Feels she isn’t mature enough 7%
- Interference with education/career plans 4%
- Parents/Partner wants abortion <1%
- Other reasons <6.5%
TOTAL: 93%
(Approx.)
** “Hard Cases” (given as primary reason) **
- Mother’s Health 4%
- Baby may have health problem 3%
- Rape or Incest <0.5%
Code:
TOTAL:                     7%  (Approx.)
nrlc.org/abortion/facts/reasonsabortions.html
 
Wow Texas Roofer! I’ve never seen a breakdown in abortion percentages like this before. The way the media & certain government officials report on abortions you would think that the “Hard cases” were in the 93% category!

Thank you for the links:thumbsup:
 
The number of abortions per day can only be “estimated” because you must include the abortions that are a result of “the pill”.
 
Hi,
I would go to Psalm 139:13-16. Unless of course you are not trying to bring God into the debate.🙂
Pax tecum!

Or Isaiah 49. But I try to keep God out of abortion debates so I don’t come accross as only being against it because I’m Christian (unless I happen to be debating another Christian on the issue).

In Christ,
Rand
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top