T
Toledo
Guest
I placed this in Moral Theology; I wasn’t quite sure which category it best fit. Please move if it should go elsewhere.
I think a high percentage of practicing Catholics do a good job decrying the evils of abortion. However, I think a vast category is ignored or swept under the rug.
Per the Catechism (366) and most of the moral theologians I’ve read, the soul is created immediately upon conception. The Church teaches us about the evils of contraception as birth control.
I do not think many people realize that many form of contraception which prevent the newly conceived embryo from full planting are literally killing an unborn person. I read a comment from a priest who said that it is estimated that for every one abortion (as we think of them), perhaps 10 unborn children are killed at the very earliest stages of infancy…within a few hours or days of conception. Of course only God knows the true numbers, but if it is 1 time or 5 times or 10 times the number of later stage abortions, this number is huge.
As we know many people (including Catholics) use these post conception abortive measures. The majority of priests I have heard haven’t mentioned this aspect of contraception…humans only a few minutes or hours or days into their development are snuffed out.
Any thoughts? The more and more I’ve thought about these tiniest human beings, I feel they are forgotten and I’ve been personally touched to offer up rosaries for them…because it seems like they are forgotten…and their numbers are huge. As a side note, how many people are literally breaking the 5th Commandment by killing their unborn child? I shudder to think of the repercussions on our souls.
I think a high percentage of practicing Catholics do a good job decrying the evils of abortion. However, I think a vast category is ignored or swept under the rug.
Per the Catechism (366) and most of the moral theologians I’ve read, the soul is created immediately upon conception. The Church teaches us about the evils of contraception as birth control.
I do not think many people realize that many form of contraception which prevent the newly conceived embryo from full planting are literally killing an unborn person. I read a comment from a priest who said that it is estimated that for every one abortion (as we think of them), perhaps 10 unborn children are killed at the very earliest stages of infancy…within a few hours or days of conception. Of course only God knows the true numbers, but if it is 1 time or 5 times or 10 times the number of later stage abortions, this number is huge.
As we know many people (including Catholics) use these post conception abortive measures. The majority of priests I have heard haven’t mentioned this aspect of contraception…humans only a few minutes or hours or days into their development are snuffed out.
Any thoughts? The more and more I’ve thought about these tiniest human beings, I feel they are forgotten and I’ve been personally touched to offer up rosaries for them…because it seems like they are forgotten…and their numbers are huge. As a side note, how many people are literally breaking the 5th Commandment by killing their unborn child? I shudder to think of the repercussions on our souls.
Last edited: