About the Bible....What if

  • Thread starter Thread starter descout
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

descout

Guest
I awoke with this question on my mind for some reason.

What if the Bible all of the sudden was gone? Taken away, no more copies here to read. What church and group of believers would go on? How would they march on?

I guess my logical answer was the CC. There was a time that I did not own a Bible…a good ten years of my life where I just went to church on Sundays. I do now have a Bible and find it enjoyable to read. I notice tho that I dont go to it to “Learn” but to only strengthen what I already know! I just find it wonderful that after ten years of my life I can go to the Bible and pick it up and feel like I have been reading it my entire life. To me this is proof that if the Bible is gone one day that I could still strengthen my faith like I did in the past. Sunday Mass.
 
As we know, there have been book burnings throughout history.

Every Catholic home should have a Bible - Catholic edition,
and also a copy of the
“Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition” first printed in the US in March, 2000.
Give them as gifts as well.

The Bible states that homosexual behavior is an abomination. Could this lead to book burnings under potential “hate crime” laws ?
 
Many years ago, I was in an institution where the people in charge would not allow any Bibles. One of my fellow “inmates” had just lost her husband who was a minister.

I was amazed by her ability to cope with having her Bible taken away from her. She realized how much of it she had committed to memory, and we made a project of “reconstructing” it.

She found a song book in the piano bench that was full of old hymns and would sit and play them and sing and cry. She was in deep grief over her husband’s death.

She was Baptist, so she didn’t believe in Tradition or oral tradition, but in the end, that is exactly what got her through this time in her life.

When she left after almost a year, they gave her back her Bible, a tiny, well-worn King James New Testament that had belonged to her father. She gave it to me, and I still have it.
In the front of it there is an index telling you where to look for consolation in various times of trouble.
I think of her sometimes, and know the Holy Spirit led her through that, and consoled her. I trust the Holy Spirit to lead us if such a thing were to happen again to any of us. We are stronger than we think we are.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top