Absolution in Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tonaw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tonaw

Guest
So I went to the Sacrament of Reconciliation the other day and when the priest absolved me he said “I absolve in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (He didn’t say "I absolve you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit") Now he looked at me while he said this and I think is main language is Lebanese (He’s a Marionite Priest). I realize in some Languages saying “you” isn’t necessary because the sentence applies to a person in singular form or plural and there are other weird language things. My question is: Am I forgiven? Now… I only had venial sins… So I’m guessing yes. But I am also trying to obtain a Plenary Indulgence and so I wonder if this confession is licit. Thank you
 
Yes.

Leaving out the you does not change the meaning, the sentence could have no other meaning, and the priest intended for it to mean “I absolve you.”
 
Sometimes Priests with heavy accents…do not say the little words like “you” as clearly or distinctly as Americans would (or other first language English speakers) it may have been said very “lightly” …

Venial sins can be forgiven in various ways…including the act of contrition…(though it is recommended to confess at least some of them …)
 
Sometimes Priests with heavy accents…do not say the little words like “you” as clearly or distinctly as Americans would (or other first language English speakers) it may have been said very “lightly” …

Venial sins can be forgiven in various ways…including the act of contrition…(though it is recommended to confess at least some of them …)
Yeah, perhaps he said it lightly. I think I’ve noticed that before. Yes I know, and Holy Water cleanses some of them too I think (with faith and contrition). I just had a big bundle of venial and needed to unload it. :o
Yes.

Leaving out the you does not change the meaning, the sentence could have no other meaning, and the priest intended for it to mean “I absolve you.”
Thank you. I feel a lot better now. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top