C
ChristIsTheWay
Guest
I know we are to abstain from communion if we are in a state of mortal sin or we have not fasted for one hour beforehand. Are there other situations when we should abstain?
This was from a letter by then Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI)I know we are to abstain from communion if we are in a state of mortal sin or we have not fasted for one hour beforehand. Are there other situations when we should abstain?
If you are in a state of grace and able to receive then I would see abstaining as a rejection of God and not a penance.Is abstaining as a self imposed penance acceptable?
Finally some body answered in stead of giving citations which in themselves did not say one had to partake but were more “encouraging” one to partake.If you are in a state of grace and able to receive then I would see abstaining as a rejection of God and not a penance.
Thanks! Would someone in doubt about certain Church teachings be considered in full communion?This was from a letter by then Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI)
“Presenting oneself to receive Holy Communion should be a conscious decision, based on a reasoned judgement regarding one’s worthiness to do so, according to the Church’s objective criteria, asking such questions as: “Am I in full communion with the Catholic Church? Am I guilty of grave sin? Have I incurred a penalty (e.g. excommunication, interdict) that forbids me to receive Holy Communion? Have I prepared myself by fasting for at least an hour?” The practice of indiscriminately presenting oneself to receive Holy Communion, merely as a consequence of being present at Mass, is an abuse that must be corrected (cf. Instruction “Redemptionis sacramentum,” nos. 81, 83).”
ewtn.com/library/CURIA/cdfworthycom.HTM
(there can be other reasons…like this is your third mass that day and you received already 2 times…etc…)
That is an interesting question. I seem to recall a priest giving a talk about receiving communion and he said something about in ages past there were Christians that received less frequently because they wanted to be very well prepared to receive Christ. I am not entirely sure I am remembering that correctly.Is abstaining as a self imposed penance acceptable?
Thanks! Would someone in doubt about certain Church teachings be considered in full communion?
Yes one may abstain where one is otherwise prepared to receive. In fact Pope Benedict XVI mentioned abstaining when he was a Cardinal as a kind of solidarity with those who could not receive…etcIs abstaining as a self imposed penance acceptable?
That is a good question. Not only about “full communion” but also simply about fully professing the Catholic Faith. I am not sure on a complete answer. On the one hand a Catholic is to profess the Faith…and assent to the teachings of the Church in various degrees…some for example with the “obedience of Faith” and some only with the “submission of intellect and will” (see chart in link below).Thanks! Would someone in doubt about certain Church teachings be considered in full communion?
- If it is your second mass for the day and you were late because the second time to receive in a day needs to be at a mass that is attended in full, unlike the first time one receives. It also means for example, that a communion service would not suffice to meet this requirement
- If you have already received the Eucharist twice in one day, unless there is a dire need.
I don’t quite agree with this premise. One could have just had a verbal fight with his/her spouse and not quite as attentive as he/she should be on the Real Presence. Receiving Christ could merely be postponed, not forced at a particular moment in time. Just one example.If you are in a state of grace and able to receive then I would see abstaining as **a rejection of God **and not a penance.
This is not distant past this was the time when I received first communion. We were encouraged to receive communion only if we confessed our sins within a week. Practically everyone who received communion did so.If you are in a state of grace and able to receive then I would see abstaining as a rejection of God and not a penance.
In the the same time when the opportunity of confessions diminished from practically every mass time so minimum 4 hours per priest a week down to one our or less a week – everyone is herded to the communion.
The contraception is grave sin. In this group in 2004 80% of the pool takers believed that less than 20% of the Catholic couples obey Humana vitae.
forums.catholic-questions.org/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=28
In my opinion many of that 80% who do not obey Humana vitae are receiving communion because they are pushed to do so. No one likes to be seen as in state of grave sin.
25 % of the Catholics claim that they attend Masses weekly of more often, but in the reality according to the October count only 15% do so. Still almost everybody goes to communion who are present, an estimated third just for this reason (missing Mass since his/her last confession) having grave sin.
Above this there are the irresponsible votes with significant damage for the community as the result. Who considers that sin at all?
The communion is degraded from receiving the Most Holy Body of our Lord to a community meal, the concept of sin is washed out almost completely.
Who is responsible for the sacrileges?
While each person may be different in this regard, there are a few other instances where I, personally, would probably chose to abstain. Here are a couple that I have actually experienced.I know we are to abstain from communion if we are in a state of mortal sin or we have not fasted for one hour beforehand. Are there other situations when we should abstain?
This is the reason that I do not receive communion. I have serious doubt about certain church teachings, because those teachings appear to conflict with God’s nature. The doubt is with the church, not God, so God must get the benefit of the doubt.Thanks! Would someone in doubt about certain Church teachings be considered in full communion?
You are right and what I meant to say was anyone in a state of grace and otherwise properly disposed to receive has no reason not to do so. Such a person deliberately refusing to receive is not making an act pf penance. They are saying to God I don’t want you.I don’t quite agree with this premise. One could have just had a verbal fight with his/her spouse and not quite as attentive as he/she should be on the Real Presence. Receiving Christ could merely be postponed, not forced at a particular moment in time. Just one example.
Anyone who says that obviously isn’t properly disposed.They are saying to God I don’t want you.