Accepting stolen goods?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Les_Schtroumpfs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Les_Schtroumpfs

Guest
Hello, I need your help in discerning weather I have committed a sin.
Today I used my Paypal account to purchase something for my sister, and she give me money for the things I bought for her. The problem is I know some of the money my sister has is from illegal means (i technically consider it form of theft). I also know that some of her savings is not from that (illegal) source, and that savings would be enough to pay the things I bought for her. What do you think, am I safe to consider that she used part of her not stolen money to pay me, or am I guilty for accepting stolen goods?
 
I do not think that it is accepting stolen goods but it is money laundering. You should not be involved because it supports immoral behaviors and it puts you at risk. The bottom line is that you did something sinful. Next time say no and if asked why give a very simple and short explanation. If I were you I would not worry too much about this episode you did not know better and you looked for information, for sure it was not a mortal sin that forces you to run to confession.
 
I would suggest that when something is a crime, looking to the legal situation would tell you whether or not its a sin. Legally speaking, where there are mixed funds, someone is assumed to have used their own money first. In law, this would not be receiving stolen goods.
 
I could think of several crimes. wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud, both federal offenses. also, receiving stolen property which was mentioned; probably not money laundering but maybe, accessory after the fact; a bored prosecutor could have a grand time piling on.

are these sins? if its on your conscience enough to consult an internet forum, you ought to take the matter to your priest.

Westerby
 
I could think of several crimes. wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud, both federal offenses. also, receiving stolen property which was mentioned; probably not money laundering but maybe, accessory after the fact; a bored prosecutor could have a grand time piling on.

are these sins? if its on your conscience enough to consult an internet forum, you ought to take the matter to your priest.

Westerby
I do not really know the legal system but why would you say that it is accepting stolen goods and wire fraud but no money laundering? The guy paid for goods with a valid and legal source of money, did not end up with any gain out of this thing but afterwards he replaced the money from a legal and valid source with money from a illegal source. :confused:
 
I do not really know the legal system but why would you say that it is accepting stolen goods and wire fraud but no money laundering? The guy paid for goods with a valid and legal source of money, did not end up with any gain out of this thing but afterwards he replaced the money from a legal and valid source with money from a illegal source. :confused:
it might be, the examples of money laundering I found were more tilted towards using financial institutions and transactions on a large scale. but casinos were also involved in some. on second thought, you’re probably right. I’d include money laundering in the list.

Westerby
 
it might be, the examples of money laundering I found were more tilted towards using financial institutions and transactions on a large scale. but casinos were also involved in some. on second thought, you’re probably right. I’d include money laundering in the list.

Westerby
Thanks for the heads up now I can switch from IANAL to “I am almost a wikipedia lawyer”. :D:D:D
 
I really don’t think I committed wire fraud, or money laundry. All I did was paying couple of shirts and a handbag that my sister ordered online. It was not mine or hers intention to somehow hide the money source, but I can see why you thought that. If it were her intention to somehow hide that money trough me I would have never agreed to it in a first place.
 
I really don’t think I committed wire fraud, or money laundry. All I did was paying couple of shirts and a handbag that my sister ordered online. It was not mine or hers intention to somehow hide the money source, but I can see why you thought that. If it were her intention to somehow hide that money trough me I would have never agreed to it in a first place.
the “wire fraud” is using PayPal. but I should have been more clear. you’re absolutely, totally and completely innocent. until proven guilty, which will probably never happen.

Whether any of that’s a sin, you should consult your priest.

Westerby
 
Thank you for clearing that up to me, I will speak to a priest about this.
 
For reference, this article discusses fraud in the context of US federal law in some depth legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Fraud

My view (as someone with a law degree) would be that there is no case for saying that the OP has committed fraud. Such a charge is even less likely that receiving stolen goods. And as I have said, the law assumes a person uses their own money first where funds are mixed, so that rules out money laundering. My view is no crime was committed here. At most, a case of imprudence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top