Acronym Sticky?

• Thread starter Thread starter mschrank
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mschrank

Please, some kind of acronym explanatory sticky please.

The newest one I saw was “stbx”.

WTH? 😉

I know D means “dear” and then you have H, husband, W, wife, D, daughter, S son.

Then some people just go crazy. It’s worse than the military. And the strangest thing is everyone save for myself seems to know what they are talking about! 🤷

“stbx” confused me for a while…but I finally guessed that it means “soon to be ex”…

We already have a sticky with many acronyms explained.

See the sticky post entitled “Please Read This Before Posting
Please, some kind of acronym explanatory sticky please.

The newest one I saw was “stbx”.

WTH? 😉

I know D means “dear” and then you have H, husband, W, wife, D, daughter, S son.

Then some people just go crazy. It’s worse than the military. And the strangest thing is everyone save for myself seems to know what they are talking about! 🤷

“stbx” confused me for a while…but I finally guessed that it means “soon to be ex”…
I seeeee…

If that isn’t something that poster just made up, then I really hate to think how many guys one would have to date before it became a set phrase!

I seeeee…

If that isn’t something that poster just made up, then I really hate to think how many guys one would have to date before it became a set phrase!
Actually, it’s because the divorce / annulment process is so long. Somebody can be your stbx for a couple of years, and it’s always the same person. It’s not an “I’m going to dump this guy as soon as I get around to it” kind of relationship.

Also, I’m wondering the phrase “ex-husband” is used so often on this forum…if a woman gets an annulment, she was never married to begin with, and there is no “ex-husband” because she never had a husband.

If the annulment is rejected, then the man and woman are still married, so no “ex-”.

(The same would apply to the phrase “ex-wife”, but it seems like I hear the phrase “ex-husband” a lot more on this forum…)

The problem is finding a better alternative to this phrase…
Actually, it’s because the divorce / annulment process is so long. Somebody can be your stbx for a couple of years, and it’s always the same person. It’s not an “I’m going to dump this guy as soon as I get around to it” kind of relationship.

Also, I’m wondering the phrase “ex-husband” is used so often on this forum…if a woman gets an annulment, she was never married to begin with, and there is no “ex-husband” because she never had a husband.

If the annulment is rejected, then the man and woman are still married, so no “ex-”.

(The same would apply to the phrase “ex-wife”, but it seems like I hear the phrase “ex-husband” a lot more on this forum…)

Some time ago when I was posting about my impending divorce and annulment this was brought up. Most posters said that the women they knew who’d received nullity decrees called themselves “annulled” so the conversation would go something like this…“so are you married, divorced?..I’m annulled,” a term is needed, especially for those of us that have children.

If you don’t have children and are granted an annulment then it’s easy just to say you are single…if you have children, even in this day and age, we feel like we have to explain ourselves when we don’t have a husband yet we have children…at least I do:shrug:. I wish there were a term to make this easy and clear about our state in life.

How about former?

That wouldn’t do either…technically, there is no such thing as a “former husband” (unless he died).

I think the terminology is important because many non-Catholics (and Catholics) think annulments are just a “Catholic version of divorce”, when this is not the case at all.

Any English majors in here???
How about former?

That wouldn’t do either…technically, there is no such thing as a “former husband” (unless he died).

I think the terminology is important because many non-Catholics (and Catholics) think annulments are just a “Catholic version of divorce”, when this is not the case at all.

Any English majors in here???
Does husband mean exclusively a person one is sacramentally married to? Or does it include the whole relationship? Is a husband in a civil marriage not a husband?

I would say the person is an ex-husband by the normal rules of usage, but if one wanted to clarify that the relaitonship was declared null, one might try “attempted husband” or something like that. Though that sounds sort of weird, like when Basil Fawlty said “our alleged chef.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back