F
Frankenfurter
Guest
My bible says they were ‘men’. So who were these two guys? What is the church’s teaching on who these guys were? Or perhaps we just don’t know?
I get your point and you are probably correct. They are probably God’s messengers. Point well taken. Thanks.Now, see, this is why John comes along and makes sure he underlines “these guys were angels”. Because we’re not Jewish people who’ve read the Old Testament five zillion times, so we don’t get all the other hints and literary references.
“His appearance was like lighning.”, that suggests he was a Cherubim associated with the altar’s and wheel undeneath God’s (Ezekiels) chariot.Oh, and I forgot Matthew 28:2-3. He was explicit about the one guy at the tomb, who rolled away the stone and sat on it, being an “angel of the Lord. His appearance was like lightning and his clothes as white as snow.”
If all the angels had an appearance like lightning, I don’t think anybody was confusing them for anything but “Be not afraid, even though I am really really scary-looking” angels. Interpretations differ about whether this is talking about the face, the body, or beams of lightning shooting out of the angel’s eyes, but I don’t see any of these being unable to get your attention.
I think I remember some kind of pious legend that the angel sitting outside was St. Michael and the two sitting inside were Ss. Gabriel and Raphael, but I wouldn’t go that far into identification.![]()