Acts 19: 1-7 baptism discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tasha
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tasha

Guest
Hi, my friend has been fiercely debating me over infant baptism (She’s preparing herself for the rapture she says.) She was grilling me about my own baptism. Then some other issues came up. I asked her if she was baptized in “The name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” and she responded that she was only baptized in Jesus’ name. She cited Acts 19:1-7. She also told me that a priest did not have the power to “give the Holy Spirit to anyone”. Can anyone help me with this? I read the passages and I don’t know what to say. Thanks!

01 While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul traveled through the interior of the country and came down to Ephesus where he found some disciples.

02 He said to them, “Did you receive the holy Spirit when you became believers?” They answered him, “We have never even heard that there is a holy Spirit.”

03 He said, “How were you baptized?” They replied, “With the baptism of John.”

04 Paul then said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus.”

05 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

06 And when Paul laid his hands on them, the holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.

07 Altogether there were about twelve men.
 
Here’s your reply to your friend - Because Jesus said so!
See below:
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Mat 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Mat 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
This is one of my favorite passages in the bible because of the last sentence. Can Jesus be more reassuring than that?? 😃
 
Yes, that’s what I said, too! And she cited the above and asked why they had to be baptized twice. I also told her you only need to be baptized once because it leaves an indelible mark on your soul. And she asked the same question, again! Agh! I don’t know, because they were baptised again here and “in Jesus’s name”. I don’t get it.
 
From the Haydock Catholic Commentary:
Act 19:5 Baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, so called to distinguish it from the baptism of John; and that of Christ was given in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, according to the command of Christ himself. [Matthew xxviii. 19.] (Witham)
 
You are dealing with a Oneness believer. She doesn’t believe in the trinity. I am dealing with one as well. The best we can do is try to open their eyes to the truth. The people on this board have been amazing for helping me!!! Pray for her.
 
Yes, that’s what I said, too! And she cited the above and asked why they had to be baptized twice. I also told her you only need to be baptized once because it leaves an indelible mark on your soul. And she asked the same question, again! Agh! I don’t know, because they were baptised again here and “in Jesus’s name”. I don’t get it.
Acts 19:5 is a statement of what was done, not how it was done. Matthew 28:19 is how Jesus said it was to be done.
 
You people are *good! *Yay!! Thank you, thank you!

She also said this," " a condition of the church" – in order to understand some of what I am trying to have you understand, I think it would be helpful if you could somehow do your best to separate what the “church” says, and have an open mind as to THE church - the body. "

That because I was talking about what The Church said in regards to baptism. I got a little miffed when she said that but what I replied was, “It’s Jesus’s Church and I can’t separate Him from it.”
 
She also said this," " a condition of the church" – in order to understand some of what I am trying to have you understand, I think it would be helpful if you could somehow do your best to separate what the “church” says, and have an open mind as to THE church - the body. "

That because I was talking about what The Church said in regards to baptism. I got a little miffed when she said that but what I replied was, “It’s Jesus’s Church and I can’t separate Him from it.”
Matthew 16:18

Matthew 18:17

THE Church is a visible entity in the world, not an invisible manifestation of the mind.
 
She also told me that a priest did not have the power to “give the Holy Spirit to anyone”. Can anyone help me with this? I read the passages and I don’t know what to say. Thanks!

06 And when Paul laid his hands on them, the holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied.
Hi Tasha. The passage your friend cited proves herself wrong. The holy spirit came upon the twelve men when Paul laid hands on them. This is the same as the Catholic sacraments of Holy Orders and Confirmation. All through the Bible, the Holy Spirit is given to one person by another person. The practice goes as far back as Moses.

Now Joshua, son of Nun, was filled with the spirit of wisdom, since Moses had laid his hands upon him; and so the Israelites gave him their obedience, thus carrying out the LORD’S command to Moses. (Deuteronomy 34:9)

Peter and John clearly gave the Holy Spirit to the Samaritans through laying on of hands and prayer.

Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, who went down and prayed for them, that they might receive the holy Spirit, for it had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them and they received the holy Spirit. (Acts 8:14-18)

This passage is extremely interesting in that the Samaritans were “Only” baptized yet had not recieved the Holy Spirit. They recieved the holy Spirit when Peter and John laid hands on them and prayed over them. This passage makes it crystal clear that human beings were able to impart the Holy Spirit onto other human beings through prayer and laying on of hands at some point in human history. The Evangelical Christian can argue that this power no longer exists, but she can never argue that one person giving the Holy Spirit to another person is impossible or never happened. And if the Evangelical Christian argues that the power to impart the Holy Spirit died with the Apostles, remind them that Paul was not an eyewitenss to Christ’s ministry on earth, yet he clearly refers to himself as an Apostle in almost all of his letters. Paul also reminds Timothy of the power and strength recieved when hands were laid on him.

Let no one have contempt for your youth, but set an example for those who believe, in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. Until I arrive, attend to the reading, exhortation, and teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was conferred on you through the prophetic word with the imposition of hands of the presbyterate. Be diligent in these matters, be absorbed in them, so that your progress may be evident to everyone. (1 Timothy 4:12-15)

If power to give the Holy Spiritresided only with the Apostles, then our good Evangelical friend will have to explain this passage. A gift was given to Timothy through “Prophetic word” and “imposition of the hands of the presbyterate.” In Paul’s day, the presbyterate would have been those who served under Paul and the other Apostles. For an Evangelical, this means the pastors. For a Catholic, this means priests under the bishop. Either way, Timothy recieved a “gift” throught prayer and the imposition of hands of people who were not Apostles.

For this reason, I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. (2 Timothy 1:6)

Paul also laid hands on Timothy and this gave Timothy the “Gift of God.”

While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then, completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them and sent them off. So they, sent forth by the holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia and from there sailed to Cyprus. (Acts 13:2-4)

More laying on of hands which sends Paul and Barnabas off “by the Holy Spirit.”

The proposal was acceptable to the whole community, so they chose Stephen, a man filled with faith and the holy Spirit, also Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicholas of Antioch, a convert to Judaism. They presented these men to the apostles who prayed and laid hands on them. (Acts 6:5-6)

This was the ordaination of the first deacons, what our Evangelical friend would know as a Church Elders. Even the Elders/Deacons are prayed over and have hands laid on them.

And so the precedent is set. The fact that some people could give the Holy Spirit to other people is clear from simply reading the Bible. Given what we read in the Bible, it would seem that the practice was quite common. Our Evangelical friend can argue that it is impossible now or that it can’t happen in the Catholic Church, but she cannot argue that it never happened. It clearly happened in the decades immediately after Christ, and not just by the Apostles either. And we see it happening many times in the Old Testament, centuries before Christ.

Catholics see the sacrament of Confirmation, where the Bishop prays over us and lays hands on us just like in the Bible, as our personal participation in Pentacost. Through it, we are “Clothed with power from on High” just as the disciples were.



I love Biblical Catholicism! 👍

-Tim-
 
She also said this," " a condition of the church" – in order to understand some of what I am trying to have you understand, I think it would be helpful if you could somehow do your best to separate what the “church” says, and have an open mind as to THE church - the body. "
:rolleyes: Oh brother!

This is a specific technique for evangelization which is being used on you. She is either very prideful or trained to convert people.

You are being asked to “Have an open mind” as if you don’t have one now. It’s as if your closed mind is not letting you see something which is plainly clear to everyone else, and you have to open your mind for enlightenment - which she will gladly give you. She asks you to “do your best” to help her get you to understand. This is exremely prideful on her part.

I love it when someone offers to “Let me help you with that” in relation to a Bible passage. This technique is often tried by older men on younger men as a play on maturity and experience. They will gladly “Help” you to understand that passage because they, being more mature and experienced, know better than you.

It’s an attempts to place themselves in a postion of teacher and to place you into a subservient postion as student.

How about… It would be helpful if you could do your best to not lecture me about my inability to undersand what you are trying to tell me. I understand what you are telling me perfectly. I just think you are completely wrong about it. 👍

-Tim-
 
Wow, all of you, each and every one of you have no idea how much I appreciate this. Big hugs to EVERYONE. This girl has been my friend for a long, long time and I don’t want to lose her, but she’s been waiting to tell me off for years for being Catholic and the time is now. I grew up in a predominately Catholic community so this was never a problem for me when I was young. But I moved to the rural south when I was in high school and have been attacked and preached to since then. I was never “equipped” to defend my faith back then and I’m trying hard now but it sucks my brain dry. I’ll be doing a lot of copying and pasting! It’s all I can do, though, to not tell her, “Forget the baptism stuff–you don’t have the Eucharist.”
 
Here is another quote from her. I’m just letting you know where she is coming from because I am positive I will be back for more help. As I said, I love this girl. We’ve been friends for a long time and she is a great friend. This has been coming to a head for a long time. This all started as innocent emails between friends. At the last email she said, “I have to go to church now. I’m preparing myself for the rapture as a bride prepares herself for the wedding. None of my friends are prepared for this. None.”

Quote: “I have a huge problem with baptism of infants. Dedication to the Lord such as Hannah did with Samuel, yes. But since baptism washes sin away, there is no sin in a child, and no repentance, & not filling of the Holy Ghost in most cases. One has to be able to confess & repent of sins and cease the activity. An infant/child is not capable of doing this. Nor are they doing it of their own free will. If a parent could baptize and child to get them into heaven, wouldnt we all be doing that? But the free will we all have does not come into play then. We are able to choose - and it is that choice of acknowledging and accepting Jesus as our savior that make us (in part) the church. At 15, you barely knew sin. At 21, when you became of age, you knew sin for sure, but had you died, what took place as an infant and at 15 would not have gotten you into heaven. Even today, the sin would keep you out. It’s almost like once saved always saved, and
that is not true either. Again, sin can not enter into heaven. So neither of these scenarios would save the person. Therefore, we must of our own accord, repent (cease the activity), be baptized to be cleansed and after that the Holy Ghost will come upon us with the evidence of speaking in tongues.”

Sorry if this is too much. It’s too much for me!! (She was referring to me at 15 because I was explaining my Confirmation to her.) Thanks for listening/reading.
 
Tasha…does this girl call herself Apostolic??? See…they believe that they do as the aspostles did which is baptize in the name of Jesus.

Ask her this…the bible was approved by the Catholic Church. I bet she doesn’t know that?? Also…when the apostles when around baptizing households, does she think they didn’t baptize infants?? They baptized whole households!!!

Also, if she claims to be apostolic, ask her why they don’t believe in the true presence of the Eucharist. The apostles sure did!!

Ask her to read the sacred scripts of Ignatius who walked with Peter!!! He speaks of the trinity…even though it was not yet called the trinity yet.

I am not a scholar…but I hope I can help some.
 
I’m not sure what she considers herself. I’ve tried asking in a round about way and she ignores it. I sent her some info from these postings and also a couple one-liners, so to speak. The last was (as you suggested) “Every time you open the Bible you acknowledge the authority of the Catholic Church.” I’m probably in for it now! Afraid to check my email.
 
Oh dear. Here is the reply to the statement about the Bible:

Quote: “THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF **** I HAVE EVER HEARD! I GIVE NO ALLEGIANCE TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Matter of fact, is what the Catholics who used to kill the Christians for not believing how they did, which is warped and more on a level of bringing heaven into Mans hands instead of with God which are in Heaven. Such as thinking a priest can give someone the Holy Ghost, that one can live a life totally consumed in sin, yet a priest can pray right before death and the priest’s prayer will get them to heaven - which is taking the relationship from a person and God out of the equation.”

I’m getting a belly ache. 😦
 
Oh dear. Here is the reply to the statement about the Bible:

Quote: “THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF **** I HAVE EVER HEARD! I GIVE NO ALLEGIANCE TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Matter of fact, is what the Catholics who used to kill the Christians for not believing how they did, which is warped and more on a level of bringing heaven into Mans hands instead of with God which are in Heaven. Such as thinking a priest can give someone the Holy Ghost, that one can live a life totally consumed in sin, yet a priest can pray right before death and the priest’s prayer will get them to heaven - which is taking the relationship from a person and God out of the equation.”

I’m getting a belly ache. 😦
Historical fact: The Catholic Church, by her authority, decided which books were inspired and were to be the New Testament.

By accepting the New Testament, as declared by the Catholic Church, you give consent, whether consciously or unconsciously (whether you mean to or not), that the Catholic Church has this authority. What you give ‘allegiance’ to (consciously declare) has nothing to do with it. Your action is your consent, even if you are not aware of it.
 
Here is another quote from her. I’m just letting you know where she is coming from because I am positive I will be back for more help. As I said, I love this girl. We’ve been friends for a long time and she is a great friend. This has been coming to a head for a long time. This all started as innocent emails between friends.
Hi Tasha!
Jesus spoke about this issue… He said that He did not come to bring peace to the world but fire (war/division); He stated that at the end of times (Judgment) where two would be gathered one would be taken away and the other left behind–ditto for those in a bed… you see, Christ is speaking about the separation that occurs with humanity where some will allign themselves with Christ and others will reject Him…

…Your friend, as many others, want to accept Christ on their own merits and conditions!
At the last email she said, “I have to go to church now. I’m preparing myself for the rapture as a bride prepares herself for the wedding. None of my friends are prepared for this. None.”
When you read the Bible (all of the Bible) you will never find Scriptures commanding us to prepare for a rapture.

Jesus does speak about something that we must prepare for… He insists that we must be ready for the Coming of the Son of Man because He will come unannounced at the least expected date and time… but His concern is not that we prepare for a given day or event but that we Allign ourselves to Him (when the Son of Man returns, will He find Faith on earth?).

…just to break-down your friend’s massege a little… remember hearing Jesus Teaching on the publican and the Pharisee? …well the publican went to Temple and stayed far back away from the altar and did not dare raise his eyes as he pleaded with Yahweh God to forgive him for he was a sinner–in contrast the Pharisse went up to the altar patted himself on the back for not being a sinner as those others… get the hint? 😛

I’ve just stepped into this thread and I’ve noticed how self-involved your friend is: “None of my friends are prepared for this. None.”

Your friend shows almost as much charity as the Pharisee!
Quote: “I have a huge problem with baptism of infants. Dedication to the Lord such as Hannah did with Samuel, yes. But since baptism washes sin away, there is no sin in a child, and no repentance, & not filling of the Holy Ghost in most cases. One has to be able to confess & repent of sins and cease the activity. An infant/child is not capable of doing this. Nor are they doing it of their own free will. If a parent could baptize and child to get them into heaven, wouldnt we all be doing that? But the free will we all have does not come into play then. We are able to choose - and it is that choice of acknowledging and accepting Jesus as our savior that make us (in part) the church. At 15, you barely knew sin. At 21, when you became of age, you knew sin for sure, but had you died, what took place as an infant and at 15 would not have gotten you into heaven. Even today, the sin would keep you out. It’s almost like once saved always saved, and
that is not true either. Again, sin can not enter into heaven. So neither of these scenarios would save the person. Therefore, we must of our own accord, repent (cease the activity), be baptized to be cleansed and after that the Holy Ghost will come upon us with the evidence of speaking in tongues.”
Your friend does not believe, as Scriptures Teach, that there’s original sin (Adam’s sin); she makes a great argument about it–yet, for the most part her words speak against her since there’s no Biblical formula to determine the “perfect/exact” age for “adult” Baptism; she, and her group, have arbitrarily determined that age 21 is the “correct” Baptismal age (not Biblical) and she ignores that various cultures determine various ages for “adulthood,” a serious error on God’s part if the Sacrament of Baptism causes His Truth to be restructured according to man’s social practices… another huge error is that in her statement your friend has condemned every single child that has died prior to reaching that “perfect” Baptismal age–since no sin can enter Heaven and no person can be Baptized before age 21… :banghead:

Her belief system makes everyone a total innocent till age 21–we only know sin when we reason that we have sinned? …could that not make Yahweh God a liar since He has stated that “all have sinned?” :hmmm:

Finally, she seems to be a little confused… the Holy Spirit will give evidence by allowing the Believer to speak in tongues? There are more than a billion Catholics world-wide, I imagine that non-Catholic Christians might be even more (granted, the accumulated fractions of Christian groups) and the world is not going crazy from all the billions speaking in tongues?

St. Paul tells us that God is a God of order not disorder–the signs of the Holy Spirit were granted during the early Church to demonstrate that they were members of Christ’s Body, and it was done as the Holy Spirit determined; the Gifts of the Holy Spirit are not “rights” that we can command God to grant us… and they served a purpose at a time that they were necessary… as the Church grew and developed there was less of the need for supernatural signs and a greater need for bringing the Gospel to the world–which the Holy Spirit has continued to do.
Sorry if this is too much. It’s too much for me!! (She was referring to me at 15 because I was explaining my Confirmation to her.) Thanks for listening/reading.
…you are part of the Catholic Church… hone your skills by learning about your Faith and Scriptures even further–your friend is insisting that you do!

Maran atha!

Angel
 
Oh dear. Here is the reply to the statement about the Bible:

Quote: “THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF **** I HAVE EVER HEARD! I GIVE NO ALLEGIANCE TO THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. Matter of fact, is what the Catholics who used to kill the Christians for not believing how they did, which is warped and more on a level of bringing heaven into Mans hands instead of with God which are in Heaven. Such as thinking a priest can give someone the Holy Ghost, that one can live a life totally consumed in sin, yet a priest can pray right before death and the priest’s prayer will get them to heaven - which is taking the relationship from a person and God out of the equation.”

I’m getting a belly ache. 😦
…and she calls herself a Christian? Does she not know that Scriptures attest that we will have to account for every word that comes out of our mouths? (Jesus elevated the term of sin when He insisted that if a man thinks of it he has committed the sin even though the physical act has not taken place…)

She is not charitable at all; it reminds me of people who think that if they speak louder they are winning an argument–reason evades them!

…I’ve heard similar version of that fallacy… they are so short sighted that they place the Cathoic Church above Yahweh God Himself as they suggest that Christ’s Church was somehow dismantled and forced into hidding for nearly 1500 years… it suggests that the Holy Spirit was in hidding/prison for that same amount of time and that only when Luther and his cronies were able to free Him was the Church reinstated into its original form… (check historical accounts, there were not thousands of churches of Christ in the previous 1500 years); as far as the Sacrament of Confession, Christ instituted it and the Apostles practiced it and handed it down to the Church–your friend is ignorant that man can deceive and be deceived but God sees into our most inner beign! So while it is true that I can deceive a Priest by pretending to seek to be reconciled to God, it is the Holy Spirit who will convict me of that Salvific Sacrament and will grant me Life or allow me to perish!

None can accumulate sin throughout a lifetime and receive absolution by design–just as none can be Saved by “claiming” Salvation!

Maran atha!

Angel
 
I’ve emailed her back with a lot of the info you all have given me. I’m trying hard to keep my cool with her. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I’m losing my dear friend. But as I said, this was a long time coming and it needed to be addressed and I’m not going to back down. If we have to part ways, then so be it.
 
Wow, all of you, each and every one of you have no idea how much I appreciate this. Big hugs to EVERYONE. This girl has been my friend for a long, long time and I don’t want to lose her, but she’s been waiting to tell me off for years for being Catholic and the time is now. I grew up in a predominately Catholic community so this was never a problem for me when I was young. But I moved to the rural south when I was in high school and have been attacked and preached to since then. I was never “equipped” to defend my faith back then and I’m trying hard now but it sucks my brain dry. I’ll be doing a lot of copying and pasting! It’s all I can do, though, to not tell her, “Forget the baptism stuff–you don’t have the Eucharist.”
Oh man, I know where you are right now.

I moved from Long Island to suburban Atlanta six years ago. The first month I was here, a woman who found out I was Catholic screamed at me, “Why do you believe you can earn your way into heaven?”

That was when I started learning about my faith. Truth be told, I almost became an Evangelical, but the theology never made sense to me. One week the study was about Baptism and that it was symbolic, a gesture the already saved makes to profess faith in Christ. That directly contradicted not only what my Church said but what it said in the Bible about being “Washed.” The next week I told them how much I love them all and that I wouldn’t be studing with them any more. I pray for them every day.

Don’t let it stress you. I recommend reading “Catholicism and Fundamentalism: The Attack on “Romanism” by Bible Christians” by Karl Keating who founded this website. It explains where all these arguments come from and how to combat them. It is the first book every Catholic South of Virginia should read.
I’ve emailed her back with a lot of the info you all have given me. I’m trying hard to keep my cool with her. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I’m losing my dear friend. But as I said, this was a long time coming and it needed to be addressed and I’m not going to back down. If we have to part ways, then so be it.
If you are loosing your peace, it is time to back down. I don’t mean that it is time to say boodby to your friend, but that it is time to tell her that you love her too much to argue with her, explain to her that you will not discuss religion any more, and see where God takes it. We can’t argue just to win and I know a woman who argued with a man via email for six months, would stay up all night sending emails back and forth. Finally her husband had to get the priest to speak with her to get her to let it go.

You may have to do the same. Let it go. It is not her time to accept the seed.

-Tim-

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top