N
nickybr38
Guest
Just so you understand where I am currently. I am just now reading the bible for the first time since I was a child. So far my roommate and I have gotten through the Gospels (WHY is there only one account of the naked man during the arrest? … no, nevermind, I’ll ask that later) and we are into Acts now. We are starting RCIA in the fall and in the meantime we don’t really have anyone we can ask about these things. That is, I have non-Catholic friends but I’m not sure I’d trust their interpretation (no offence to non-Catholics, it’s just that the Protestants I know really have NO clue about Church history and I do believe scripture is best understood when looked at through history).
This particular chapter opens with an account of Annanias and Sapphira. I’m wondering if someone can help me understand this better.
At this point the followers of the disciples are living communally. Certain members are feeling compelled to sell all they own and use it so that all members of their community are physically cared for (given food, clothing, etc). Annanias and Sapphira decide to sell their land but instead of giving everything to the community they decide to keep a small sum for themselves. Perhaps feeling pressured because his brethren have given EVERYTHING Annanias lies about how much the land sold for.
In response God strikes him dead after a brief admonishment from the disciple (Paul? - sorry, recounting from memory here). Sapphira comes in not knowing what’s just happened and when she too lies about how much the land was sold for God strikes her dead as well.
What is going ON here??? People lie everyday without God striking them dead so I can only assume they are being killed not JUST for the lie but because they did not give everything to the community.
Why does this only seem to happen once (keep in mind I have now read from Matthew to Acts 13 and not beyond) and why does it not happen anymore (I don’t know about you but I haven’t seen anyone sell everything they own and give it to the Church lately)? What is the lesson to be learned here?
Any help would be most appreciated because right now all I’m seeing is that we must give everything we have to the church and we must do so honestly or be struck down!
This particular chapter opens with an account of Annanias and Sapphira. I’m wondering if someone can help me understand this better.
At this point the followers of the disciples are living communally. Certain members are feeling compelled to sell all they own and use it so that all members of their community are physically cared for (given food, clothing, etc). Annanias and Sapphira decide to sell their land but instead of giving everything to the community they decide to keep a small sum for themselves. Perhaps feeling pressured because his brethren have given EVERYTHING Annanias lies about how much the land sold for.
In response God strikes him dead after a brief admonishment from the disciple (Paul? - sorry, recounting from memory here). Sapphira comes in not knowing what’s just happened and when she too lies about how much the land was sold for God strikes her dead as well.
What is going ON here??? People lie everyday without God striking them dead so I can only assume they are being killed not JUST for the lie but because they did not give everything to the community.
Why does this only seem to happen once (keep in mind I have now read from Matthew to Acts 13 and not beyond) and why does it not happen anymore (I don’t know about you but I haven’t seen anyone sell everything they own and give it to the Church lately)? What is the lesson to be learned here?
Any help would be most appreciated because right now all I’m seeing is that we must give everything we have to the church and we must do so honestly or be struck down!