Adam and Eve: what constitutes "believing"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter StJudePray4Me
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StJudePray4Me

Guest
Hi all

I have a hard time reconciling the Adam and Eve stories with scientific discovery. I also have a hard time with the “literal” truth of Adam and Eve, when the creation stores in the Bible contradict one another.

OK, so the thing is, I know I am supposed to believe these stories.

I had sort of made up my mind that I will just accept them as truth in a way that I can not currently comprehend. Not to try to MAKE them make sense to me. Let them remain a mystery that I may someday understand in this life, but definitely will understand in the next life.

Do you think this is enough?
 
Hi all

I have a hard time reconciling the Adam and Eve stories with scientific discovery. I also have a hard time with the “literal” truth of Adam and Eve, when the creation stores in the Bible contradict one another.

OK, so the thing is, I know I am supposed to believe these stories.

I had sort of made up my mind that I will just accept them as truth in a way that I can not currently comprehend. Not to try to MAKE them make sense to me. Let them remain a mystery that I may someday understand in this life, but definitely will understand in the next life.

Do you think this is enough?
Some of the stories of the Bible are allegories. They contain the truth of God, but not necessarily in the facts. The key to all this, is not to try to approach the Bible as a do-it-yourself kit. It’s not. Without Holy Tradition and the Magesterium of the Church, you have no better chance than any Protestant at arriving at the right answer. 🙂
 
I think what we are required to believe is that humanity on Earth is in a fallen state, from which Christ redeems us. Also that our fallen state is the result of human sin, not of God’s error or ill will.

Even evolutionary theory, as I understand it, would logically require that at some point in time there was a first specimum of homo sapiens.
 
Hi all

I have a hard time reconciling the Adam and Eve stories with scientific discovery. I also have a hard time with the “literal” truth of Adam and Eve, when the creation stores in the Bible contradict one another.

OK, so the thing is, I know I am supposed to believe these stories.

I had sort of made up my mind that I will just accept them as truth in a way that I can not currently comprehend. Not to try to MAKE them make sense to me. Let them remain a mystery that I may someday understand in this life, but definitely will understand in the next life.

Do you think this is enough?
No biblical scholar today would hold that Genesis presents history in the modern sense of that term.
The founding sacred biblical authors’ conception of history as a linear movement of events determined by divine intervention
and tending to a divinely conceived goal militates against such a presentation. They were interested in the “facts” of history
only inasmuch as they illustrated the divine plan behind Genesis. This interest was the overriding factor in their choice of material.
With regard to the patriarchal history, the basic “facts” included such items as the movements of the patriarchs,
their occupations, their relations with their neighbors and their marriages and deaths.

Their is every reason for the scientific biblical historian to accept the basic family history in Genesis, which served as the foundation
for the authors religious history. The sciences of ancient Near East history and especially of archaeology have shown the the underlying
social, juridical, political, geographical, and religious conditions in Genesis are precisely those of the 2nd millennium and could not have been
invented by an author living in a much later time period. Consequently; strictly on historical grounds, historians admit the existence of these
semi nomadic shepherds who originated, at least proximately, in Upper Mesopotamia, migrated to Canaan, lived out their lives much as
described in Genesis, and at least some whom descended into Egypt.

These “facts,” however; were primitively recorded and preserved in a popular form. Personal names were given etymological explanations to stress
the character either of the person or of his descendants. Family incidents were “dressed up” to serve as material for ballads and sagas sung
or recounted for the entertainment and edification of the local inhabitants. Some events could be given a framework based on local cult legends
or cultic practices to illustrate their religious significance.

This is the type of material passed down through the ages to give account of the preservation of history in Genesis, in individual units,
or in some cases, in cycles of traditions, to the sacred historians of later Israel. They in turn made their own literary contributions to clarify
their own purpose, which was, above all, religious.

Sacred historians through the ages wished to show the (“divine plan”) successively revealed in the events of history, and they therefore
stressed the divine initiative throughout.

Abraham’s migration to the land of Canaan is not a haphazard incident conditioned solely by the circumstances of the time period, but primarily
a divine call he could not ignore. The patriarch’s adventures in Canaan, his successful transactions with others, his escapes from harm,
his once said to be barren wife Sarah, the birth of his children, all are introduced and explained in the light of God’s
“divine plan” to form Himself a people who would ultimately possess the land and worship Him alone.

This divine plan is concretized in the form of a promise made to Abraham and in those of his descendants (“Isaac and Jacob”).
This unifying divine plan, expressed in the successive promises, similarly explains the adventures of these descendants.

The patriarchal history, therefore along with the Story of Adam and Eve, has an absolute unity by absolute reason of the “divine purpose”.
Because it is Supernatural, the purpose is beyond the effective control of modern scientific history.
Therefore; the ultimate meaning of Genesis like other books in the Bible, will always elude all human relativism,
and the historian who works outside its religious postulates.

Peace
Chris
 
Hi all

I have a hard time reconciling the Adam and Eve stories with scientific discovery. I also have a hard time with the “literal” truth of Adam and Eve, when the creation stores in the Bible contradict one another.

OK, so the thing is, I know I am supposed to believe these stories.

I had sort of made up my mind that I will just accept them as truth in a way that I can not currently comprehend. Not to try to MAKE them make sense to me. Let them remain a mystery that I may someday understand in this life, but definitely will understand in the next life.

Do you think this is enough?
Adam and Eve are the two, real, sole parents of humanity. Scientific discoveries cover this and that, but they do not rule out Adam and Eve’s true, fully complete human nature as created by God and subsequently transmitted to you and me

Blessings,
granny

Our first parent Adam was the apple of God’s eye.
(example of reality and figurative language)
.
 
Basic Catholic teaching regarding Adam, Human Nature, Original Sin
is found in the
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, ISBN: 1-57455-109-4
Paragraphs 355-421.

The good news of Jesus Christ follows in Paragraph 422, etc.

One can put the word paragraph and its number in the Catechism’s search bar in link
www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Entering topics is also very useful since the Catechism does expand on the basics and implications. . Do check out the references in the Index.

When one enters a paragraph number, like “paragraph 355”, and then clicks on the opening line, CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 355 the following is under the paragraph:

»
»
Table of Contents
»

The Catechism paragraph 390, “How to read the account of the Fall.” is appropriate for this thread.
 
I think what we are required to believe is that humanity on Earth is in a fallen state, from which Christ redeems us. Also that our fallen state is the result of human sin, not of God’s error or ill will.

Even evolutionary theory, as I understand it, would logically require that at some point in time there was a first specimum of homo sapiens.
Are you referring to Original Sin as in Adam’s loss of original holiness?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top