Adam Clayton Powell and Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoelFitz

New member
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith (NRSV; 2 Tim 4:7)
.

Recently I have been studying the Pastoral Epistles, and have got great help from contributors here. Usually I ask about sections that cause me problems. Here I mention a verse that I find very poignant and powerful, even if it reminds me of Adam Clayton Powell, who used to say “keep the faith, baby”.

One can feel the emotion here as Paul is approaching death and one can also read his last testimony.

There seems to be two metaphors about sport, possibly wresting and running. There is no need to think fighting has a military, as opposed to a sporting, meaning.

Paul seems to have been big into sport, as were many in his time. He probably worked at the Isthmian games near Corinth, making tents for spectators at and participants in the games.

I hope that at the end of my life the same sentiments might be expressed by me.

What do you think if this verse?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top