I am a monotheist trying to make the jump back to Christianity, but this is one of a few questions that are preventing me from doing so.
Here’s wishing you well on your journey.

I hope you enter the Church.
- There is nothing outside of God’s power or knowledge
- God created Adam
- There were an infinite number of ways He could have made Adam, for each way He knew what the outcome would be
- He could have created Adam X, who would not use his free will to sin
- He could have created Adam Y, who would use his free will to sin
- God purposefully chose to create Adam Y over Adam X
- Adam’s sin was God’s fault
It just seems illogical to me to claim that God bears no responsibility for sin or the fall of man give that He had the power and the foreknowledge to create a sinless Adam that would’ve had the exact same free will as the sinful Adam.
First, I think there is a problem with premises 4-5. I don’t think it’s correct that God could have created a free being
in such a way that they will always use their free will for good. The thing that immediately comes to mind is the angels: they were created with free will, but I don’t think they were created free
in such a way that Satan, for example, would choose evil, and Michael would choose good. Instead, I think they were just created free, and they chose from there. If God makes you free, I don’t think He can create you free
in such a way that you only choose good without creating a contradiction.
Second, and this is probably a smaller issue, is that your conclusion uses a key term, fault, which does not appear anywhere in the premises. I also don’t see a synonym in the premises. The word “sin” can sometimes be a synonym for fault, but in this case I don’t think it is, because the two terms seem to be distinguished clearly enough in the conclusion. Thus your syllogism does not follow.
Third, I think it is possible for God to create a being, knowing he will do evil, without being responsible in any way for it. Because God did not create him to do evil. Every parent creates their child knowing that they will do evil, but they don’t become responsible because of it. I am only responsible for what I do and for what I cause other people to do. Even in your scenario, God did not cause Adam to sin.
Fourth, and this may be very critical – my understanding of moral theology is that it includes this principle: it is not against the moral law to tolerate a moral evil in order to secure a greater good. Note well: it
is against the moral law to
Cause a moral evil in order to secure a greater good. But toleration of evil is something less than causing it. A king, for example, does not try to prosecute every possible sin committed in his land. He legitimately tolerates certain evils, such as the presence of false religions in his kingdom, in order to permit a greater good, such as respect for conscience. But he must not promote false religions.
Re: God, He may have created Adam in the knowledge that he would do evil because God knew that this would secure a greater good than the Fall, and that greater good is man’s redemption. In the Exultet every Easter we remember that Adam’s fault was a “happy fault, which gained for us so great a redeemer.” This, I think, is what St. Paul means when he says, “For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.” Romans 11:32
Let me know if any of that helps.