ADD

  • Thread starter Thread starter MariaG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MariaG

Guest
Is anyone else having trouble sticking to the “one topic” per thread issue?

I know I am and have repeatedly caught myself only after several off topic posts.

I don’t think it is just me and we all need to make a concerted effort to stick to one topic and make new threads, with links to the thread for each topic that is brought up.

We are allowing the topic to be shifted instead getting people to stick to the topic. This is poor apologetics on my(all;) ) part and I readily acknowledge it.

Anyone else wish to make a new start and stick to the thread topic and make new threads or kindly redirect the to the discussion at hand when new subjects arise?

Your sister in Christ,
Maria
 
I notice myself doing this alot myself, usually following the direction of a poster who wants to implore Boettner style apologetics. The thread on Sola Scriptura was a prime example. I asked for a Biblical reference to the notion that Scripture was God’s final and full revelation, and the retort was that I should provide Scriptural support for the Assumption of Mary and Purgatory. I almost got led astray in my instantaneous reaction to defend the Church, but then realized that these two topics were not relevant to Sola Scriptura as we were discussing it. I guess you could attribute it to the “heat of battle” , for lack of a better way to put it.
 
A good point. Some I have allowed to wander because the OP is the one that derailed the thread and so long everyone remains charitable and answers are appropriate, I can live with that.

If folks will shoot me a BPR http://70.85.23.3/images/buttons_cak/report.gif when threads first derail I can always split them off (and generally will).
MF
 
Maybe this demonstrates the Nexus Mysteriorum- the inter-connectedness of the faith for real???

:whistle:
 
I know that at time I derail…:o

However, I also try to follow the OP and see where he or she is going.😉

Sometimes the OP is the one that changes course…

Also at times the OP first post is so wide that almost anything can be posted. Sometimes the OP is not just one topic, but also several mini-topics. So it’s hard to judge.
 
This morning, I was thinking about posting this topic as well.
If you have noticed, most of the thread discussing Virgin Mary are derailed to multi topics.

The OP raised issue to against the teaching of the Church but fail to prove it wrong, then he just*** feels*** like changing the subject hoping he can get something out of it. Unfortunately, the Truth never fails.
 
I notice myself doing this alot myself, usually following the direction of a poster who wants to implore Boettner style apologetics. The thread on Sola Scriptura was a prime example. I asked for a Biblical reference to the notion that Scripture was God’s final and full revelation, and the retort was that I should provide Scriptural support for the Assumption of Mary and Purgatory. I almost got led astray in my instantaneous reaction to defend the Church, but then realized that these two topics were not relevant to Sola Scriptura as we were discussing it. I guess you could attribute it to the “heat of battle” , for lack of a better way to put it.
Oh, I completely agree. At the moment, we feel compelled to defend the Church and Her teachings. We need to remind ourselves that sticking to the thread topic, though, will defend the Church better than anything.

It seems though lately, people who are coming here to challenge the teachings, once they get hung up, they jump topics in order to make their point and we (I:o ) are actually encouraging this by allowing these tangents to form and go on and on, instead of getting them to focus on things like, “how the figurative meaning of John 6 makes no sense, since figuratively speaking eat my flesh and drink my blood means to do harm or speak bad of someone” in a thread about the Eucharist and get into the teachings of Mary instead.

Here is a refresher for any who wish to look at, Becoming an Apologist: Advice from the CA staff posted by Michelle Arnold. My favorite on from there is Debating 101 by James Akin

It appeared that many of us were suffering from this so a reminder to myself and others would not be amiss:)
 
A good point. Some I have allowed to wander because the OP is the one that derailed the thread and so long everyone remains charitable and answers are appropriate, I can live with that.

If folks will shoot me a BPR http://70.85.23.3/images/buttons_cak/report.gif when threads first derail I can always split them off (and generally will).
MF
Thank you! I will do so:)

I know in the past I have tried to make a new thread for things, but invariably, someone will continue to post in the same thread instead of the newly created one and it takes the actions of a moderator, who can completely remove the posts rather than just copy them:thumbsup:
 
I know that at time I derail…:o

However, I also try to follow the OP and see where he or she is going.😉

Sometimes the OP is the one that changes course…

Also at times the OP first post is so wide that almost anything can be posted. Sometimes the OP is not just one topic, but also several mini-topics. So it’s hard to judge.
Yes, I tend to follow that rule also. As long as it is the OP and it naturally progresses that way. Unfortunately, though, lately it appears to be less of a natural progression, Like from talking about purgatory to santification, but from two more separate and unrelated topics, like Fatima to the Eucharist.

And I have been contributing more to the second, off topic, unrelated topci kind of posting, I am afraid to say:o

But here’s to renewed determination:thumbsup:
 
Is anyone else having trouble sticking to the “one topic” per thread issue?

I know I am and have repeatedly caught myself only after several off topic posts.

I don’t think it is just me and we all need to make a concerted effort to stick to one topic and make new threads, with links to the thread for each topic that is brought up.

We are allowing the topic to be shifted instead getting people to stick to the topic. This is poor apologetics on my(all;) ) part and I readily acknowledge it.

Anyone else wish to make a new start and stick to the thread topic and make new threads or kindly redirect the to the discussion at hand when new subjects arise?

Your sister in Christ,
Maria
I’m guilty of bringing threads off the topic. I did numerous times. How many penitence shall I say? 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top