Addiction and The Eucherist

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bentonj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a recovering alcoholic with almost two years sober. Yes, I receive the eucharist. While I don’t have any thing to offer to the original question except the usual talk to a priest or deacon I wanted to share with you as I find that sometimes round about questions are more of an opening to talk and find acceptance. First, I had almost four years sober, I relapsed, it took me almost a year and a half to make it back. I have never been homeless, jobless, or in prison. I am what you call “high functioning” but to any of us that know this it is the worst spiritual bankruptcy one can feel. Keeping in mind the definition of Hell being the absence of God - It IS.

While I know the “rehab industry” chooses to call it a disease I prefer the definition given by the Friends of Bill W. as an allergy. It makes a lot more sense. If you are allergic to penicillin you cannot take it into your body without grave consequences. Unfortunately, it is the only allergy that makes you want more even though you know it is injurious to yourself and those around you. “Drinks you see others taking with impuntiy.”

For our non-alcoholic friends here is a bit of history - The Twelve Steps are actually based on the Catholic Faith. Only Step One has to do with drinking the rest have to do with getting God, Cleaning House, and Maintinence. The Twelve Steps were what Pope John Paul called America’s greatest gift to the world.

If you are not sober - it’s OK. One day at a time keep trying. One day when you and God are ready it will happen for you if you put in the footwork. If you are sober please do not do what I did. It almost killed me. No one ever comes back and tells you they had a great time either.

God bless and if you need to PM me please feel free to do so.
 
Addiction is an illness only a loose sense. Addiction is the only “disease” you can cure by choosing to walk away from it and joining a support group. Claiming the “disease” title for addictions is merely a way to avoid the responsibility for one’s voluntary behavior.

Refusing to exhibit the moral fortitude to do whatever is necessary to walk away from a harmful addiction is a sin.

Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. AIDS is a disease. Schizophrenia is a disease. You can join all the support groups you want, and you can choose to walk away from them. But unless you seek medical intervention it won’t make a difference.
The tendancy towards addiction is widely believed to be a genetic trait. Mix that with a bit of youthful naivite, and sometimes addiction isn’t as much of a choice as it may seem. You are right that it takes a lot of willpower and “decision making” to get away from addiction, but the human mind is a complicated thing. I just worry that these kinds of statements will trivialize the real struggle that the OP is going through, and burden him with a sort of crippling guilt that leads to inaction. And I don’t mean to be derogatory towards you or your advice, but I’ve seen close friends go off the deep end because they believe that all of their shortcomings stem from their addictions, which they believe are entirely their fault. At that point they give up, and that’s the last thing I want for the OP or anyone struggling with dependancy on drugs/alcohol.

My advice to the OP:
Do whatever you can to avoid whatever it is you are addicted to. If you personally go out and seek it, then I think you should go to confession as in my book that would qualify as a mortal sin. If you’re around it by accident and don’t have the will to resist, I wouldn’t consider that a mortal sin but ask Christ in the Eucharist to strengthen your resolve to do better next time. This is just my advice though. For spiritual advice, the best person to go to is a priest. For medical advice, the best person to go to is a doctor. I am neither. You’ll be in my prayers.
God bless,
John
 
God save all the people. God give so many features to live happily in this world. So many perosons are struggle with their addictions. God sees that and give support to all the people who in miseries, but they must wati for God help.

=====================================

knowl

vilafranca del penedes
 
So many people are have addiction problems. They are addicted to drugs and alcohor and some other ways. Every one doesnot control their repeated taking of their inhabbits. They cannot take care of their lifes when they are good soul. The person who take communion and good sober then they are become the Eucharist.

======================================

knowl

download ringtones
 
Some dangerous situations has give some crucial results. So many people are addited like this type of ways and some persons are take this with out control their mind settings. Finally they struggle with the addictions and pin to all the mental abilities. God sees the truth and save all the people in every time. But we must wait for that help. We must create aweraness on addiction and control all the addicted problems with the communion to save all the persons.

================================

knowl

Flower Delivery Service
 
It is a good site to all the people. Refusing to exhibit the moral to do whatever is necessary to walk from a harm ful addiction is a sin.If you are not sober - it’s OK. One day at a time keep trying. One day when you and God are ready it will happen for you if you put in the footwork. If you are sober please do not do what I did. It almost killed me. No one ever comes back and tells you they had a great time either.

======================================

knowle

low rate loans
 
Does being addicted drugs or alcohol make an otherwise practical Catholic unable to consume the Eucherist? If a person presents himself in Mass regularly while NOT under the influence of alcohol or drugs but, nevertheless, does suffer from addition, is this person guilty of grave sin and therefore not to take communion?
Bentonj,

Being addicted to drugs or alcohol is a disease, not a sin. Using drugs (including alcohol) is a sinful act. Substance abuse undermines the dignity of the human person and harms life, which is supposed to be respected and guarded. The informed, willing decision to use drugs is a sin. An individual that is physical, mentally, and/or physiologically addicted to drugs and/or alcohol does not know how to function without the drug(s). Therefore, culpability is reduced because of the individual’s utter dependence on the drugs(s). The addict is commonly misunderstood and shunned by society, when the addict is most desperately in need of the understanding, help, and support of others. The Catholic faith calls you to forgive and help others. Do not reject a person with an addiction, help them. No one wants or chooses to be an addict and the path to recovery is an difficult and even painful journey. As a recovering addict and alcoholic I can personally attest to this. I ask you to show compassion towards those who are burdened by addiction.

Most Sincerely and Respectfully,
K. W. J. P.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top