Addiction

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul_theApostle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul_theApostle

Guest
If we are addicted to gambling or cigarettes for eg. should we just pray to God to help us stop or seek counselling from non church organisations or counsellers?

There are many stories of people seeking Gambling help/counselling and stopping the habit,so then do we need God or not?

do we need to bring an invisible God into it,or should we just ring up the helpline and not even bother about prayers ?
 
Paul yes we do. 🙂
All good intentions and all grace comes from God. Even if these people are not aware of God’s grace, all that is good in their hearts and efforts comes from God.
 
If we are addicted to gambling or cigarettes for eg. should we just pray to God to help us stop or seek counselling from non church organisations or counsellers?
Many groups actually have God as part of their program.

One more thing though. People don’t pray to God and he waves a magic wand over them and their addictions stop. They have to want to stop and do the work necessary to quit. Likewise, to seek out a group that is a “non church organization” one still needs to do the work themself. No magic wand there either. :rolleyes:
 
Well when I prayed to God to help me quit smoking it didn’t work, but then I gave it up for lent with the help of the patch and the vow I made to God not to smoke again even after lent and so far so good. Its the vow I made that keeps me quit, it was fairly easy too after years of smoking, but then again maybe I was ready but I didn’t want to quit but knew I should.

I think I would get help for gambling, that is a terrible addiction and its everywhere, casinos, bars, state lottery, here the goverment is allowing another thing that could easily ruin peoples lifes and promoting it, and then putting out their warning that gambling can be addictive, makes me sick.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top