S
steve64
Guest
We have a son who is having some trouble in school. He is in the first grade at a Catholic school. In the first two semesters he had some trouble with acedemics. My wife has been working with him in the evening to keep him caught up and he has actually made some real improvement even though he is still behind others. He is still having issues with behavior/attention however. He finds it difficult to sit still and concentrate and it it causing his teacher some frustration.
We have decided that we want to handle this privately rather than working thru our Catholic school partnering with the local public school.
I think that we can error in two ways on our approach. We can either move to quickly or move too slowly. I see our culture moving too quickly towards a physiological cause (ADHD) and therefore treatment that usually means finding the right drug. I feel pretty uneasy about this especially knowing how young he is. He may just grow out of it. On the other hand I do not want to my dislike of a better-living-thru-chemistry culture to blind me or cause me to move to slowly towards a proper diagnosis and treatment to a real problem.
My wife and I are in agreement on taking the approach of moving slowly but moving forward.
We have asked the teacher to give us a score on how well he is paying attention on a daily basis. For two months she has done this. We have gotten a much better communication with Jake and have passed along a number of tactics that he has used successfully. This is not a quick thing and his teacher has started to use the score to write notes about everything that irritates her without much consistency. We are jumping from one thing to the next and loosing our effectiveness. We are stopping this because Jacob is becoming quite discouraged.
This is a very polarizing issue and I can only find info from skeptics or advocates. There is a real boy here and I do not want to play either game. The skeptics are largely abstract and give no tangible alternatives for correcting the behavior. The advocates seem to give concrete advise but it is in the form of “dealing with your ADHD child” and they are closed to alternatives.
I am looking for ideas and for people to ask for help. I want to find someone (family psychologist maybe?) who shares our faith and also looks at the ADHD issue from a sililiar perspective.
Any ideas on where to look?
We have decided that we want to handle this privately rather than working thru our Catholic school partnering with the local public school.
I think that we can error in two ways on our approach. We can either move to quickly or move too slowly. I see our culture moving too quickly towards a physiological cause (ADHD) and therefore treatment that usually means finding the right drug. I feel pretty uneasy about this especially knowing how young he is. He may just grow out of it. On the other hand I do not want to my dislike of a better-living-thru-chemistry culture to blind me or cause me to move to slowly towards a proper diagnosis and treatment to a real problem.
My wife and I are in agreement on taking the approach of moving slowly but moving forward.
We have asked the teacher to give us a score on how well he is paying attention on a daily basis. For two months she has done this. We have gotten a much better communication with Jake and have passed along a number of tactics that he has used successfully. This is not a quick thing and his teacher has started to use the score to write notes about everything that irritates her without much consistency. We are jumping from one thing to the next and loosing our effectiveness. We are stopping this because Jacob is becoming quite discouraged.
This is a very polarizing issue and I can only find info from skeptics or advocates. There is a real boy here and I do not want to play either game. The skeptics are largely abstract and give no tangible alternatives for correcting the behavior. The advocates seem to give concrete advise but it is in the form of “dealing with your ADHD child” and they are closed to alternatives.
I am looking for ideas and for people to ask for help. I want to find someone (family psychologist maybe?) who shares our faith and also looks at the ADHD issue from a sililiar perspective.
Any ideas on where to look?