M
malexburp
Guest
This is my first time jumping into these forums, so here goes.
My husband & I have been married almost 6 years, 5 of which involved practicing NFP - successfully, or so we thought. After a full year of unsuccessfully TTC, it seems we could’ve just thrown our charts out the window long ago.
(Adding to the situational irony is that we’re not just NFP users, we’re teachers. It’s not so easy to promote openness to life and generosity toward children when, from external appearances, we don’t practice what we preach.)
Irony aside, we still have two options: adoption or (licit) infertility screening. We have an appointment for the latter in two months at a NaPro Technology doctor 4 hours from where we live. But without sounding overly pessimistic, I don’t feel psychologically safe placing all my eggs in that basket - no pun intended!
My husband has always been 110% on board with adoption. It took me a while to warm up to the idea, but with prayer and self-reflection, I’m right there with him now.
My question is this: if nothing comes of NaPro, are we morally obligated to pursue adoption in a timely manner? If we have the financial, emotional, and physical resources to adopt, is it sinful to delay the process?
If we have no grave reasons to avoid adopting, are we violating the call to be “open to life” by waiting a year or two to adopt?
(We plan to move out of state within that time period, so we’re also weighing the stressful impact on a newly adopted child. We’d be aiming for a grade-school child, not an infant.)
My husband & I have been married almost 6 years, 5 of which involved practicing NFP - successfully, or so we thought. After a full year of unsuccessfully TTC, it seems we could’ve just thrown our charts out the window long ago.
(Adding to the situational irony is that we’re not just NFP users, we’re teachers. It’s not so easy to promote openness to life and generosity toward children when, from external appearances, we don’t practice what we preach.)
Irony aside, we still have two options: adoption or (licit) infertility screening. We have an appointment for the latter in two months at a NaPro Technology doctor 4 hours from where we live. But without sounding overly pessimistic, I don’t feel psychologically safe placing all my eggs in that basket - no pun intended!
My husband has always been 110% on board with adoption. It took me a while to warm up to the idea, but with prayer and self-reflection, I’m right there with him now.
My question is this: if nothing comes of NaPro, are we morally obligated to pursue adoption in a timely manner? If we have the financial, emotional, and physical resources to adopt, is it sinful to delay the process?
If we have no grave reasons to avoid adopting, are we violating the call to be “open to life” by waiting a year or two to adopt?
(We plan to move out of state within that time period, so we’re also weighing the stressful impact on a newly adopted child. We’d be aiming for a grade-school child, not an infant.)