Advice on father and sister situation needed please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Isabelle2012
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Isabelle2012

Guest
Hello. My 20 year old sister is living a life of sin. She moved out of my moms and into my dads(my parents have been divorced since I was in the 8th grade. I am 26 now) because my moms rules were not allowing her to sin. She has caused much pain to my mother to the point that my mother cries.

He allows her to sleep over her 27 year old atheist, pot smoking boyfriends house. My dad and her call each other vulgar names in a jokingly manner. I find the names offensive. The last straw was when I saw that she posted a very vulgar photo of some women reading the 50 Shades of Gray book and the caption contained the F word spelled out. This was on facebook. I was offended, but more upset that we have nephews, nieces and other family and friends who don’t need to see that. I posted a comment about it not being appropriate for her nephews and nieces to see and she said, “they hear it at school”. I told her privately, that this is not good behavior coming from a Christian. I left her a bible scripture and she proceeded to tell me to leave her alone and that I may as well homeschool my son." She posted on her public wall, “if you’re offended, block my comment!” and my own father LIKED her comment. She deleted all mine. All of her friends liked her comment and her disgusting photo. I told her that book is degrading to women. I feel like I am doing my dad’s job!

I am sorry this is so long. I have been dealing with these things for far too long. I am worried about her soul. She does not go to church anymore and said she can be a good Christian without going. I told her no. It is a commandment! I am her older sister and once, a role-model. While people sit back idle, like my dad and other siblings, I have enough care to tell her the truth. She does not want to hear it.

In the meantime, my facebook account is deleted and I want to leave her alone now and I feel like I don’t want my dad in my life anymore because he hurts me to emotionally. My grave grave sins were committed under his lack of supervision when we stayed with him on the weekends and I feel like he is condoning my sister’s behavior. He also does not take an active part in my life and makes no attempts to. I now have a 6 month old and the question of whether or not to have his grandpa in his life comes up. I had feelings of self-hate and low self-esteem growing up and sought any attention from any guy willing to do so, just to feel wanted.

Hitting her in the head with bible passages is not obviously working. I don’t know what else to do. I pray my rosary daily for her conversion. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
My personal rule is to not argue with people on Facebook no matter what they post. Its tacky, pointless, a waste of time, and humiliating when you think of how many people are viewing your dirty laundry.

Your sister is 20, she is an adult. It is not your or your father’s responsibility to make her behave anymore. She’s well past the age of having her profane language corrected.
 
I have to agree with BlueEyedLady. Your sister is an adult and she is old enough to make her own decisions, right or wrong. I know my family doesn’t agree with many of my decisions (such as marrying a Catholic and becoming a Catholic, now they think I will be going to hell) and lecture me on them frequently which only serves to alienate and anger me. I think that you can tell her how you feel once and then let it go.
 
Your sister is 20, she is an adult. It is not your or your father’s responsibility to make her behave anymore.
Sorry, but I politely disagree with you here. Because she is living at his home, my dad has a responsibility and every right to tell her to stop sinning and doing immoral behavior and to tell her you can’t stay over your boyfriends while you are living in my home. That is his duty as a Christian Father. My sister is hardly paying for anything while she stays there. Even if she was supporting herself like an adult, he still can tell her to stop or kick her out.

Because he is not saying anything at all, he is condoning this behavior and I feel God will hold him responsible in some way for being silent.

I never tell her she is going to hell because that is judgement, but I give her my opinion and the truth as church teaching says (my priest says I am allowed to do so). I only tell her once, but she now reacts with anger. I guess I need to let it be and let her make her mistakes and learn the hard way. I won’t say anything anymore because that is obviously not working lol. I was just hoping for some advice in other ways of reaching out to her.
 
Sorry, but I politely disagree with you here. Because she is living at his home, my dad has a responsibility and every right to tell her to stop sinning and doing immoral behavior and to tell her you can’t stay over your boyfriends while you are living in my home. That is his duty as a Christian Father. My sister is hardly paying for anything while she stays there. Even if she was supporting herself like an adult, he still can tell her to stop or kick her out.

Because he is not saying anything at all, he is condoning this behavior and I feel God will hold him responsible in some way for being silent.

I never tell her she is going to hell because that is judgement, but I give her my opinion and the truth as church teaching says (my priest says I am allowed to do so). I only tell her once, but she now reacts with anger. I guess I need to let it be and let her make her mistakes and learn the hard way. I won’t say anything anymore because that is obviously not working lol. I was just hoping for some advice in other ways of reaching out to her.
Clearly he let her live there under different conditions that you would have set out. But what he allows his adult daughter to do under his roof is still none of your concern.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top