Afraid of Abusing Reconciliation

  • Thread starter Thread starter KidCatholic1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KidCatholic1

Guest
I am very afraid of being presumptuous (I am not sure if that is the right word) about going to confession. I have heard that if I am worried about abusing the sacrament, then I will not abuse it. My biggest issue is that I struggle with impurity and lustful sins; how can I be sorry for my sins if I keep doing them? And getting pleasure from them? Is it okay to confess sins even if you continue to do them? I want to stop my lustful sins so badly, very much so, but I can’t seem to break my habit. I really do not want to disappoint God either. Am I being scrupulous? Does anyone else find themselves in my situation of lustful sin–>confession–> guilt–> sin… etc?

Thank you for answering my questions. :o.
 
You are not alone in struggling with particular sins. We all seem to have tendencies toward some sins rather than others, and it takes time to overcome them even with the help of the Sacraments.

It would be wise to ask a priest your questions, and if possible, continue to see one priest for confession so you can receive the best help overcoming your particular struggles.
 
I think everyone has sins they struggle to overcome. I know I do. Like others, I often feel I confess the same sins over and over again. But there is no such thing as a sin-free human being. We are not perfect. As long as you strive to overcome your habitual sin(s) and are truly sorry for having committed it/them, what you **should **do is confess it/them. 👍

Yeah, I’m sick of my sins too. I’m sick of every confession sounding like the one from two weeks earlier. But as I heard Scott Hahn say on EWTN, “What do you want, new sins?” :eek:

I can’t tell you whether or not you’re scrupulous (and neither can anyone else here, in my opinion). Best to speak to a priest if you suspect you may be.
 
I ask myself, if I don’t take these habitual sins to confession, yes, over and over, what is the alternative? Fall deeper into sin? Remain unrepentant? Unacceptable!

When I get discouraged (and I sometimes do), I remember this tale from the Desert Fathers, so many centuries ago: "A brother asked Abba Sisoes, ‘What shall I do, Abba, for I have fallen?’ The old man said to him, ‘Get up again.’ The brother said, ‘I have got up again, but I have fallen again.’ The old man said, ‘Get up again and again.’ So then the brother said, ‘How many times?’ The old man said, ‘Until you are taken up either in virtue or in sin. For a man presents himself to judgment in the state in which he is found.’"

We get up after falling through the grace of reconciliation. As others have said, bring your concerns about possibly abusing the sacrament (a concern which I suspect is unfounded, based on your apparent sincerity) to your confessor so you can be at peace.
 
I ask myself, if I don’t take these habitual sins to confession, yes, over and over, what is the alternative? Fall deeper into sin? Remain unrepentant? Unacceptable!

When I get discouraged (and I sometimes do), I remember this tale from the Desert Fathers, so many centuries ago: "A brother asked Abba Sisoes, ‘What shall I do, Abba, for I have fallen?’ The old man said to him, ‘Get up again.’ The brother said, ‘I have got up again, but I have fallen again.’ The old man said, ‘Get up again and again.’ So then the brother said, ‘How many times?’ The old man said, ‘Until you are taken up either in virtue or in sin. For a man presents himself to judgment in the state in which he is found.’"

We get up after falling through the grace of reconciliation. As others have said, bring your concerns about possibly abusing the sacrament (a concern which I suspect is unfounded, based on your apparent sincerity) to your confessor so you can be at peace.
This tale from the Desert Fathers really touched me. Honestly, it made me tear a little bit :bighanky:. Regardless, it was encouraging and I am happy you shared it with me 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top