After RCIA... Book or Bible Study suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter texasdebutante
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

texasdebutante

Guest
I just came into the Church at Easter Vigil and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on bible studies or books to read now?

I’m about halfway through the Symbolon series and I’m looking into Women of Grace

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
 
I think every Catholic should have some teaching about salvation history from the OT through the NT. A good series is Jeff Cavins: The Bible Timeline: The Story of Salvation. It shows how the Bible is Christocentric and how God’s plan of salvation was worked out through the Jews and now in the Church. It’s basic stuff every Catholic should have. 👍
 
Navarre Bible

and

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture.

and of course Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
 
I think every Catholic should have some teaching about salvation history from the OT through the NT. A good series is Jeff Cavins: The Bible Timeline: The Story of Salvation. It shows how the Bible is Christocentric and how God’s plan of salvation was worked out through the Jews and now in the Church. It’s basic stuff every Catholic should have. 👍
HA! I was going to suggest the very same thing! LOL 👍
 
See if your parish (or another nearby) has any faith-building programs that you can participate in.

For example, twice each year my parish has sessions which meet once a week for 8 weeks and gradually work through the Why Catholic book series. These are books that teach from Scripture and the Catechism, and at the sessions one can meet fellow Catholics to learn, discuss, pray, and even sing a little.

I also participate in a group that meets to read the coming Sunday’s Scripture readings and study/discuss them and pray, and sing a little. (I guess we like to sing!)

Some parishes offer more, some offer less. See what’s going on at yours.
 
Check with your Parish to see if they offer a Bible Study Program or an Adult Faith Formation group.
 
Catholic Answers Forum - but you ready knew that.

DGB
 
HA! I was going to suggest the very same thing! LOL 👍
So was I!

I have been through six studies in the list of subjects that is covered by Ascension Press, with Jeff Cavins.

They were awesome!

We had workbooks and scripture readings to do for homework and then questions to respond to in the workbook. We met for two hours a week, and the discussion that went with answering the questions was lively. After that we watched a 45 minute DVD with Jeff Cavins delving into deeper what we had just discussed. It was very inspiring and informative. The ten to twelve people participating formed community and new friendships.

One may have to seek a parish that offers this. So far there are only three parishes in my area that does.

I had to travel to another parish to take the studies.
 
Welcome to the Church!

In addition to the Bible, [of course], I would recommend the writings of the Saints. I was amazed at how accessible and relatable to everyday life most of them are. St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Augustine, etc. The Philokalia is a great collection of some of the great Eastern spiritual writers.

The Imitation of Christ was a favorite of mine when I converted…a great spiritual classic.

Also, every book written by G.K. Chesterton and Flannery O’Connor.
 
So was I!

I have been through six studies in the list of subjects that is covered by Ascension Press, with Jeff Cavins.

They were awesome!

We had workbooks and scripture readings to do for homework and then questions to respond to in the workbook. We met for two hours a week, and the discussion that went with answering the questions was lively. After that we watched a 45 minute DVD with Jeff Cavins delving into deeper what we had just discussed. It was very inspiring and informative. The ten to twelve people participating formed community and new friendships.

One may have to seek a parish that offers this. So far there are only three parishes in my area that does.

I had to travel to another parish to take the studies.
Yes! The Revelation one is awesome. Also Book of John and Acts of the Apostles.
 
He Leadeth Me - Fr. Walter Ciszek, S.J. Seriously, changed my life!

JMR
 
Go on some retreats!! They will change your life, introduce you to new people highly invested in their faith and open new doors for you. They can be one day retreats or over night retreats… what ever you can find. I just love them and it exposes me to new people, powerful religious speakers, and all kinds of joy.

Happy Easter!

John
 
Four books I enjoy recommending:

Interior Castle, by Teresa of Avila (I like ISBN 978-0882704647)

The Imitation of Christ - Ronald Knox translation (ISBN 978-0898708721)

The Life and Revelations of St. Gertrude the Great - ISBN 978-0895556998

The Handbook of Christian Apologetics - Peter Kreeft & Ronald K. Tacelli - ISBN 978-0830817740

Each of them is very readable, in its own way. And each of them lends itself to reading small snippets in just a few minutes that you can turn over in your mind for the rest of the day— they’re each filled with very valuable nuggets, each in their own way. The first three give you access to the innermost thoughts of some of the great saints, and the fourth spells out very logical, practical arguments that help your grounding in your faith.
 
He Leadeth Me - Fr. Walter Ciszek, S.J. Seriously, changed my life!

JMR
I remember reading that many years ago. Yes, it is an excellent book to read about how Father Ciszek dealt with his sufferings with such faith. Very inspiring!
 
As someone in the same boat as you:

First of all, the Catechism and the Bible. I’m assuming you covered these in RCIA, but if you didn’t, or only covered them partially, you should complete these two books before moving on to anything else. After you’ve read the Catechism and the Bible you’ll already know more about Catholicism than 90% of the people sitting in the pews will. Yes, the task of reading the entire Bible seems daunting, but believe me, it’s worth it. Start out with the Gospels, then the rest of the New Testament, then the Old Testament. Some people like to start the OT with the psalms and prophets as these are where most of the Messianic prophecies are from; but, as far as the psalms go, you should ideally have a good psalter that you pray regularly from anyways.

Once you’ve got these two down pat, it’s really a question of what you want to get into. Fulton J. Sheen, Scott Hahn and Benedict XVI (most of his books are published under his original name of Cardinal Ratzinger) all do great jobs explaining the faith, and they’ve all published books on a variety of subjects. Fulton J. Sheen’s Life of Christ and Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth series are considered the books par excellence on the life of Christ. Other good titles by them include Three to Get Married and Hail, Holy Queen, which do great jobs at explaining the Catholic stances on Marriage and Mary, respectively. The Lamb’s Supper is also considered a spiritual classic, that will let you see the Mass in a whole new light.

If you want to get more into Theology, Benedict XVI published a number of good books on the subject. Another title that I’d recommend is “Theology For Beginners” by Frank Sheed, and “Orthodoxy” and “The Everlasting Man” by G.K. Chesterton.

If you want to get more into Prayer, the books I’d recommend are a Psalter, A Daily Missal, and the LOTH (there are also many abbreviated LOTH books that are cheaper than the full volume set). An Eastern Horologion is quite a monumental task to pray but well worth it if you can find the time. It should be noted, that most all of these resources can be found online; I’ll post the links later on.

If you want to get more into Hagiography, the book par excellence is Butler’s Lives of the Saints, but it’s four volumes and will cost you an arm and a leg. If you want to stay at a small book length, some recommended titles are Story of a Soul by St. Therese of Lisieux, Augustine’s Confessions, the autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila, and Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton (technically, he’s not a saint, but it’s still an excellent insight into one of the greatest minds in Modern Catholicism).

If you want to get more into contemplative/mystical Theology, the writings of St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila and Thomas Merton will be enough to engage you for quite a while.

If you want to try your hand at Centering Prayer, then Open Mind, Open Heart and The Cloud of Unknowing. The books of contemplative/mystical theology are also recommended. (DISCLAIMER FOR THE MODS: While I know that discussion of Centering Prayer isn’t allowed, I think an exception could be made for a simple book list. If not, I’ll be happy to edit the post and remove it).

If you want to get into Philosophy, then the City of God and Aquinas’s writings are what you want to get. Get a summary of Aquinas’s works (several are available) rather than a full multi-volume set of his books.

If you want to get more into Bible Study, get a study Bible. The Navarre Study Bible is generally regarded as the best, but it’ll cost you an arm and a leg. The Ignatius Study Bible is excellent, but it’s a work in progress; currently only the New Testament and a few of the OT books are out. Haydock’s Douay-Rheims Commentary is also excellent, but quite dated and difficult to find. The NAB bible has extensive footnotes, and most other Catholic Study Bibles you’ll find are simply rebranded NABs. The NJB also has a study edition with extensive footnotes.

Two more notes. One book everyone should have is The Imitation of Christ; Catholic tradition holds that this is the second-best selling book in the world after the Bible. Another great author, whose is not Catholic but whose books are widely regarded as non-denominational is C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters and Reflections on the Psalms are all recommended titles.

Some links you’ll find useful:
The full Liturgy of the Hours:
divineoffice.org/
A (greatly abbreviated, which is still extremely long) Horologion:
orthodox.seasidehosting.st/hourly_services
Christian Classics Ethereal Library (this contains most of the Christian classics from before the 20th century):
ccel.org/
Haydock’s 1859 Commentary:
haydock1859.tripod.com/
 
“Bible Basics for Catholics” by Dr. John Bergsma is a fascinating explanation of the Bible as a series of covenants. The book is relatively short and readable, and Bergsma has an engaging writing style.
 
“Consoling the heart of Jesus” by Michael E. Gaitley (a priest)

It is an at home weekend retreat setup, but can be read over a longer time frame too. It has many excerpts from St. Therese of Liseux’s autobiography, St. Faustina’s Divine Mercy Diary, and St. Margret Mary Aloque’s autobiography. It is a very comforting book and explores the merciful love of Jesus that He so freely gives and how He longs for us to give our love to Him in return.
 
I just want to say Thank you to everyone who has replied, I am looking into each and every suggestion that has been made!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top