AGGGH! Help with Antiphons

  • Thread starter Thread starter JKirkLVNV
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JKirkLVNV

Guest
I need help locating the sources of the Communion Antiphons of the OF, by the Sundays they are used (ie, this one for the 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time, this for the 5th, etc.).

Our music director has been taking the spoken communion antiphons out of the missalette and setting them to music (I know, it was intended to be spoken and the ones from the Roman Gradual were to be sung, but we don’t have the Roman Gradual and we want the congregation to at least sing along if they wish, which they can do with the missalettes). Now he want’s to expand those antiphons by alternating them with the Psalm text from which they are taken. I bought the book Communio, but the texts are all in Latin. We want to be able to continue in English (because that’s what the missalettes are in, not because we’re Latin phobes, we frequently sing the ordinaries in Latin). Can anyone give me a source where I can find the texts from which the communion antiphons are taken and listed by the Sundays or Feast to which they are assigne?
 
The antiphons in the Missalette come from the Roman Missal.

Your parish probably has a copy sitting up on the altar every Mass, because that’s what all the prayers for the Mass come from, too. I don’t know if it has psalm verses in it, though.

Doesn’t Communio list the citations for the psalm verses they’re using? Or are they using the antiphons and psalms from the Gradual?
 
The antiphons in the Missalette come from the Roman Missal.

Your parish probably has a copy sitting up on the altar every Mass, because that’s what all the prayers for the Mass come from, too. I don’t know if it has psalm verses in it, though.

Doesn’t Communio list the citations for the psalm verses they’re using? Or are they using the antiphons and psalms from the Gradual?
Communio uses the Gradual.

I don’t know if the Missal has the citations, either. I will look online.

Thank you!
 
Now he want’s to expand those antiphons by alternating them with the Psalm text from which they are taken. I bought the book Communio, but the texts are all in Latin. We want to be able to continue in English (because that’s what the missalettes are in, not because we’re Latin phobes, we frequently sing the ordinaries in Latin). Can anyone give me a source where I can find the texts from which the communion antiphons are taken and listed by the Sundays or Feast to which they are assigne?
Fortunately,Communio does list the accompanying psalm verses. Example pdf: In Splendoribus, near the top under the antiphon it lists verses 1a, 1b, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7. from the antiphon’s psalm (Ps. 109). Looks like Communio uses the Greek/Vulgate numbering so that would be Ps. 110 in most English bibles.

Actually, I think Communio includes English translation of the antiphon and verses at the end of each chant (pg 2 in the “In Slendoribus” link above). Your music director could use those.

The antiphons from Communio are taken from the Roman Gradual and sometimes they don’t match those from the Roman Missal. If you’re using the Missal antiphons, I think you can simply pick appropriate verses from the psalm from which the antiphon is taken. For example, my St. Jospeh’s Daily Missal ( I can’t find my Sunday Missal right now 😦 ) says the Communion antiphon for Week 5 of Ordinary Time is Ps 107: 8-9. In this case I would pick verses other than vs. 8-9 from Ps. 107 to alternate with the antiphon.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Missal assigned specific verses to go with the antiphons so use your best judgement but there’s no reason you can’t use the assigned verses from Communio if the Gradual and Missal antiphons more or less match, which I believe is the case most Sundays anyways :).
 
Fortunately,Communio does list the accompanying psalm verses. Example pdf: In Splendoribus, near the top under the antiphon it lists verses 1a, 1b, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7. from the antiphon’s psalm (Ps. 109). Looks like Communio uses the Greek/Vulgate numbering so that would be Ps. 110 in most English bibles.

Actually, I think Communio includes English translation of the antiphon and verses at the end of each chant (pg 2 in the “In Slendoribus” link above). Your music director could use those.

The antiphons from Communio are taken from the Roman Gradual and sometimes they don’t match those from the Roman Missal. If you’re using the Missal antiphons, I think you can simply pick appropriate verses from the psalm from which the antiphon is taken. For example, my St. Jospeh’s Daily Missal ( I can’t find my Sunday Missal right now 😦 ) says the Communion antiphon for Week 5 of Ordinary Time is Ps 107: 8-9. In this case I would pick verses other than vs. 8-9 from Ps. 107 to alternate with the antiphon.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Missal assigned specific verses to go with the antiphons so use your best judgement but there’s no reason you can’t use the assigned verses from Communio if the Gradual and Missal antiphons more or less match, which I believe is the case most Sundays anyways :).
Communio is a great resource. There is an English-language version of the verses in Communio, available here: musicasacra.com/books/communio_english.pdf

You might also try Rice’s Simple Choral Gradual; the text in SCG matches the text in the missal, which makes it easy for the people to follow along, available here: musicasacra.com/books/simplechoralgradual.pdf
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top