Ah help! Possibly conned?

  • Thread starter Thread starter katiecall87
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katiecall87

Guest
I’ve mentioned in some other threads that my family is going through some very difficult times financially. I attempted to get help through what I thought was legitimate mortgage assistance.

The whole process felt very professional. They didn’t ask for any money up front. I had to do a lot of paperwork and collect typical documents, like bank statements, utility bills, pay stubs…

I went through with it and they even called my lenders to get information about the mortgage and make sure everything was accurate before building a case etc.

Again, so far, it has all felt very professional and real.

However, yesterday when I was supposed to have a phone conference w the company’s underwriters to see if our case was approved, my case manager never called me and I have not been able to contact him.

The voicemail constantly picks up.

Now I’m terrified I might have given ALL of my personal information to con artists.

This is the company web page http://coastlinecenter.org/

What do you guys think? Con? Real?

If I was conned- I have no idea how to protect my bank account / identity. They have my social and my husband’s social now too.
 
Last edited:
Everything is taken care of. I put up fraud alerts w the credit companies and reported these guys.

Thank you for your patience. I think, in my panic, I was looking for good news from a community of good people. Alas, the situation is what it is and I feel foolish for nearly getting tricked!
 
Don’t feel foolish. You are not the first to be conned by a scam like this. Commend yourself for doing the things necessary to prevent your identity being stolen, etc.

Sorry this happened to you. These companies that are engaged in fraud should be shut down and all involved prosecuted in my opinion.

Have a blessed Easter.
 
Kati, if you still need help with your mortgage, go to the HUD website and find a HUD approved housing counseling agency.

Companies on the HUD website are legitimate.

Continue to monitor your credit and file complaints with your state attorney general and the FTC.
 
I agree with @1ke’s advice, but has it occurred to you that they were closed due to Good Friday and that’s why you couldn’t reach them? It’s unprofessional that they scheduled an appointment with you and didn’t at least reschedule, but it seems you’re jumping from “everything is fine” to “I’ve been scammed” rather quickly. I pray it all works out for you, since you’ve already started down the path…
 
In the US, Good Friday is not a federal holiday. While most Catholic institutions are closed, for secular companies it is business as usual.
 
Not all, a lot of the businesses I deal with were closed yesterday
 
Well, I’ve spent about a half hour on this now and:

it’s a Wordpress site, they represent themselves as a .org but are not listed on the IRS non profit search or in Guidestar. They make very vague claims about mortgage help. They aren’t a HUD agency.

The federal homeowner programs expired at the end of 2017 (MHA). Lenders and servicers do have internal programs available and FHA, Fannie, Freddie, etc, still have programs but you can get those directly by taking to your servicer.

The statements on their website are vague, questionable and refer to a pre-approved application. Application for what?

They say they’ve been in business 20 years but there is literally no information on them when you search, including the BBB website.

The address listed is a Regus building near Fashion Square Mall. Regus offices are legitimate, but can be rented very short term. Or it may only be a front. Hard to tell.

On the whole, it seems suspicious at the very least.
 
Last edited:
I did consider that. However, the problem began on Thursday. I had a phone conference scheduled with them at 2 (to get approval from underwriters). The phone call never came. When I called my case manager to see what happened, it went straight to voice mail. I went to the company website and the phone number listed on the page was no longer in service.

If they were a con- I suspect they were caught.
 
Our state and county government offices were all closed; many businesses had abbreviated hours. My office was practically empty.
 
That is a good thing, but, it is not the norm in secular businesses.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top