A
aball1035
Guest
Are there any rules about not drinking alcohol in lent? What about in traditional Catholicism?
No.Are there any rules about not drinking alcohol in lent?
There is only one Catholic Church.What about in traditional Catholicism?
There is only one Catholic Church and she has no teaching banning alcohol in Lent or any other timeAre there any rules about not drinking alcohol in lent? What about in traditional Catholicism?
Hence the name ‘liquid bread’!There’s actually a whole style of beer devoted to Lent that’s been around for hundreds of years. Many monks drank it to sustain themselves while fasting.![]()
The rules require abstaining from meat on Fridays except if a solemnity falls on a Friday and then fasting and abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.Are there any rules about not drinking alcohol in lent? What about in traditional Catholicism?
If you are suggesting that there is only one fasting/abstinence rule within the Catholic Church, then you are mistaken. Byzantines have stricter fasting rules. Traditionally Byzantines wouldn’t even have dairy products during Lent, something that is allowed for Roman Catholics.There is only one Catholic Church.
There is one Church, but different traditions within the one Church. There is such a prohibition on alcohol on certain days in the Byzantine Rite.There is only one Catholic Church and she has no teaching banning alcohol in Lent or any other time
That’s kinda what I was getting at when I said traditional Catholicism. For example I know some lent rules changed during Vatican IIThere is one Church, but different traditions within the one Church. There is such a prohibition on alcohol on certain days in the Byzantine Rite.
I am unaware of such a strict prohibition in the Roman Church. The RC doesn’t even prohibit dairy products.
One is either following the Catechism of the Catholic Church or one is not.That’s kinda what I was getting at when I said traditional Catholicism. For example I know some lent rules changed during Vatican II
The traditional strict fast in the East includes fasting from wine.There is only one Catholic Church and she has no teaching banning alcohol in Lent or any other time