Alcoholism and the sacraments

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxamilianus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maxamilianus

Guest
Hello everyone. This is a bit of a heavy topic.
If a person wants to be received into the church yet suffers from alcoholism what is required of them in order to receive the sacraments. Must they go through rehab and get dried out first. I was also wondering since alcoholism is a psychological illness does it reduce that persons culpability in regard to the sin of drunkeness.
 
I would say that such things should be judged on a case by case basis.
 
No one has to receive the cup during communion. You can receive one or the other or both. In fact, some people with gluten issues receive the cup and not the host.

I’ve found the grace of confession when dealing with drinking and other sins helps me to avoid them, or reduce their frequency Things I used to do daily now my only happen monthly, or nearly never. And I don’t believe you need to be in full communion with the church (baptized, confirmed, receiving communion) to participate in confession. I went to confession several times while going through RCIA, and it made a noticeable difference for me.

Not that one shouldn’t make efforts to deal with their issue, but I don’t believe you’re expected to be entirely dried out to join the church. At the same time, if it’s that serious an issue, it might be wise to consider that option regardless of church membership.

Like other said, talking to a priest is probably the best thing to do. Hopefully the replies you get here will help organize your thoughts to inspire the most productive conversation with him possible.

God be with you in this struggle!

Peace!
 
I was also wondering since alcoholism is a psychological illness does it reduce that persons culpability in regard to the sin of drunkeness.
Any form of addiction impairs our freedom and so reduces our culpability. A person suffering from alcoholism is really no different to anyone else - a sinner in need of the Lord’s mercy. To be received into the Church they should ideally be taking steps to address their problem. That said, for some people that first step - admitting they have a problem - is the most difficult but being in denial isn’t necessarily reason for refuse to admit someone to the sacraments. Ultimately, it depends on where the person is at in terms of their readiness to be received into the Church and this is something that they should discuss with their priest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top