Alfred Edersheim

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brywan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brywan

Guest
Anyone familiar with Edersheim’s book, “The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah?”

I’m looking for a comparable work by a Catholic author–Edersheim is decidedly Protestant in his perspective…

any suggestions would be helpful…

Thanks!!
 
Anyone familiar with Edersheim’s book, “The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah?”

I’m looking for a comparable work by a Catholic author–Edersheim is decidedly Protestant in his perspective…

any suggestions would be helpful…

Thanks!!
I know of it. Edersheim’s work is quite a nice read (albeit, as you say, he does have a Protestant bias, being a convert to it from Judaism), though outdated in some areas, being first published in the late 19th-early 20th century, if I recall correctly.
 
Though I have talked to a few Catholics that converted from Judaism none of written a book. But there is hebrewcatholic.org Alfred Edersheim does sometimes support the Catholic position at times. Originally he converted to Presbyterian, the converted to Anglican…it seems he was headed in the right direction…getting closer to Rome. aronbengilad.blogspot.com/ is a kinda jewish Catholic blog
 
Try “Daily Life in the Time of Jesus” by Henri Daniel-Rops. The author is Catholic and much of the material is good, and along similar lines to Edersheim (i.e. what daily life was like in the time of Christ). Like Edersheim some of the scholarship is dated, but it is a good starting point.
 
Try “Daily Life in the Time of Jesus” by Henri Daniel-Rops. The author is Catholic and much of the material is good, and along similar lines to Edersheim (i.e. what daily life was like in the time of Christ). Like Edersheim some of the scholarship is dated, but it is a good starting point.
Thanks for the suggestion–yes, what I am looking for is background material (cultural contexts) for a better understanding of Jesus Christ and the teachings of the gospel…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top