Alone is not a bad word

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luvz2travel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luvz2travel

Guest
It’s not a bad thing really. I don’t know why so many get scared by it. You can survive on your own and prosper and even grow as a person. I don’t mean living the life as a hermit which would include not socializing or having friends not getting out and doing things. I am referring to **not being in a relationship or living on your own. **
 
True.

But when you find a truly fulfilling relationship, your life without the other person seems so drab and empty by comparison.

Plus, you’re never truly alone. There’s always your relationship with God.
 
I don’t mean to seem like a spoil sport, but isn’t this like the third thread you have started recently on being single or choosing not to date. I realize plenty of people can be just fine being single. Nothing wrong with being single. Nothing wrong with being in a relationship either. We are all called to different things.
 
I know by the time I was seven that alone was not a bad word. But, then I had one aunt that never married and a grandmother and an aunt that were wedowed longer then they were married. So, what’s the question? 😃 :eek: :confused: :p:eek:
 
Loneliness is the bad word.

And you could live with or be surrounded by many people and feel it. Trust me.
 
It’s not a bad thing really. I don’t know why so many get scared by it. You can survive on your own and prosper and even grow as a person. I don’t mean living the life as a hermit which would include not socializing or having friends not getting out and doing things. I am referring to **not being in a relationship or living on your own. **
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? Because oftentimes these types of statements are more to convince ourselves of something than someone else. All the best to you. 🙂
 
It’s not a bad thing really. I don’t know why so many get scared by it. You can survive on your own and prosper and even grow as a person. I don’t mean living the life as a hermit which would include not socializing or having friends not getting out and doing things. I am referring to **not being in a relationship or living on your own. **
I know lots of bachelors and single maidens. Some just never get connnected, some have had family obligations which prevented them from marrying, some chose to devote themselves to various good works. But indeed, some are hermits by circumstances - finances usually cause this, if you don’t have much money " socializing " is pretty much out. So being alone and being poor is a little tough, but the Church and Christ make all bearable.

👍👍
 
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? Because oftentimes these types of statements are more to convince ourselves of something than someone else. All the best to you. 🙂
I think, in general, lots of people do need to hear it. Society does have a way of impressing upon people a necessity of having certain relationships that are not actually necessary. For example, some people date only because they feel pressured to do so (and are, or become, unhappy as a result). Thus, they would benefit from being aware of this message.

-Byrnwiga
 
I think, in general, lots of people do need to hear it. Society does have a way of impressing upon people a necessity of having certain relationships that are not actually necessary. For example, some people date only because they feel pressured to do so (and are, or become, unhappy as a result). Thus, they would benefit from being aware of this message.

-Byrnwiga
I disagree. I’ve lived alone for 7 years and have not been in a relationship for 10. I feel no need to tell people that I’m “okay” being alone. Someone that needs to reassure others, especially reassuring people on a forum who didn’t ask, is likely reassuring themselves. And in regards to your social pressure situation, someone dating due to social pressure is likely not going to stop just because someone they don’t know tells them they don’t have to do it anymore.
 
There’s nothing wrong with living alone. And there’s nothing wrong with seeking out a relationship. What is sad is when a parent is willing to throw their children under the bus for the sake of finding a relationship–any relationship.
 
My closest friend is a single woman who has always been content to remain single.

Being the unmarried daughter, though, she has become responsible for caring for her parents in their declining years.
She moved back with her parents briefly whilst waiting for a rental to become available, but her observation of her parents has caused her to realize that it would be uncharitable to leave them to their own devices. Her cherished independence has been sacrificed quietly to this end and her furniture remains in storage.

Perhaps, whatever our choice or situation, we ultimately face the challenges that relationships bring into our lives?
 
I don’t mean to seem like a spoil sport, but isn’t this like the third thread you have started recently on being single or choosing not to date. I realize plenty of people can be just fine being single. Nothing wrong with being single. Nothing wrong with being in a relationship either. We are all called to different things.
Well I just get tired of the zillion threads about people complaining about being alone, or who seemed terrified by the prospect then you have all the marriage problem threads and sex threads…lots of duplication.
 
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? Because oftentimes these types of statements are more to convince ourselves of something than someone else. All the best to you. 🙂
Nope I’m resigned to living alone. Living with others can be difficult to say the least but as I’ve lived with lots of people and on my own I can truly say each has it’s pros and cons. I’m very social though and am always on the go. I don’t spend time sitting at home I get out and do things.
 
Well I just get tired of the zillion threads about people complaining about being alone, or who seemed terrified by the prospect then you have all the marriage problem threads and sex threads…lots of duplication.
Each one is brought up by a specific individual who is suffering though. Why is it not fitting that there be duplication in the subject matter if it is truly a problem that comes up over and over again? And just so you know, throwing the phrase “alone is not a bad word” at them is not going to help change the way they fell about things. As was pointed out, lonelines is the problem, and it is a very real one which usually can’t just be shaken off with platitudes.
 
Each one is brought up by a specific individual who is suffering though. Why is it not fitting that there be duplication in the subject matter if it is truly a problem that comes up over and over again? And just so you know, throwing the phrase “alone is not a bad word” at them is not going to help change the way they fell about things. As was pointed out, lonelines is the problem, and it is a very real one which usually can’t just be shaken off with platitudes.
I’m not going to get into a debate with anyone. If my thread annoys someone they don’t have to read it. I was just suggesting that being alone it not necessarily the worst thing that can happen. 🤷
 
I think, in general, lots of people do need to hear it. Society does have a way of impressing upon people a necessity of having certain relationships that are not actually necessary. For example, some people date only because they feel pressured to do so (and are, or become, unhappy as a result). Thus, they would benefit from being aware of this message.

-Byrnwiga
Yes and that is my whole point. 👍
 
I’m not going to get into a debate with anyone. If my thread annoys someone they don’t have to read it. I was just suggesting that being alone it not necessarily the worst thing that can happen. 🤷
Thats fine, I am just giving you another perspective about the duplication of threads which seems to bother you. 🙂
 
I disagree. I’ve lived alone for 7 years and have not been in a relationship for 10. I feel no need to tell people that I’m “okay” being alone. Someone that needs to reassure others, especially reassuring people on a forum who didn’t ask, is likely reassuring themselves.
There are people who desire to assuage certain negative feelings of others in connection to solitude, not because they need to, but because they want to. If you can establish that someone needs to reassure others, then yes, perhaps they are reassuring themselves. I don’t think the assumption can be made until then.
And in regards to your social pressure situation, someone dating due to social pressure is likely not going to stop just because someone they don’t know tells them they don’t have to do it anymore.
Removal of social pressure usually results in the person persuing what they want rather than a dominant view in society. I agree that one person on one forum (which in no way constitutes a complete “social pressure”) is not likely to trigger widespread abandonment of (false) dating relationships, but it will certainly trigger thoughts in some people in terms of their motivations. I think that was the intent of the original post.

-Byrnwiga
 
I’m not going to get into a debate with anyone. If my thread annoys someone they don’t have to read it. I was just suggesting that being alone it not necessarily the worst thing that can happen. 🤷
Amen! And you didn’t suggest that you were on a mission to save all the lonely people in the world either! 🤷 Just a conversation that some will find interesting and some not- this is a discussion forum after all. I think it’s interesting (which is why I’ve taken the time to read it as opposed to the tens that I’ve skipped over) 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top