Altar server attire

  • Thread starter Thread starter coolduude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

coolduude

Guest
Hello all,

I have a question regarding what altar servers should wear. When my high school has an all school Mass, the servers wear their uniform (collared shirt with slacks; tucked in of course). However, if we have Mass on an out of uniform day, the servers follow suit and wear whatever (sports jerseys, t-shirts, etc). It looks tacky to be honest. The thing is, my school owns cassocks (the things with the ‘hoods’ on them- not what used to be worn years ago and what can be seen in more conservative parishes. Does that make sense? :p). The servers are never told to wear them, and so they never do.

Is there any ‘dress code’ for altar servers? Should any action be taken? I have brought the issue up with the theology department, but nothing has come of it. Advice? 🙂

Thank you,
Coolduude:cool:
 
Hello all,

I have a question regarding what altar servers should wear. When my high school has an all school Mass, the servers wear their uniform (collared shirt with slacks; tucked in of course). However, if we have Mass on an out of uniform day, the servers follow suit and wear whatever (sports jerseys, t-shirts, etc). It looks tacky to be honest. The thing is, my school owns cassocks (the things with the ‘hoods’ on them- not what used to be worn years ago and what can be seen in more conservative parishes. Does that make sense? :p). The servers are never told to wear them, and so they never do.

Is there any ‘dress code’ for altar servers? Should any action be taken? I have brought the issue up with the theology department, but nothing has come of it. Advice? 🙂

Thank you,
Coolduude:cool:
I believe the “hooded thing” you’re referring to is an alb. It probably looks something like this, right?

Yes, there is dress code for servers.

This comes from the GIRM, Par 119:
*In the sacristy, the sacred vestments for the … other ministers are to be prepared according to the various forms of celebration:
…
For the other ministers: albs or other lawfully approved attire.

All who wear an alb should use a cincture and an amice unless, due to the form of the alb, they are not needed.
*

A cassock/surplice are included in this “other lawfully approved attire” I believe, but I’m not sure where one can find out what the full scope of lawfully approved attire is. You might try your office of divine worship at the archdiocese of Chicago. I’m assuming you’re in the Chicago archdiocese.

In short, yes, they should be wearing something besides “street clothes”, such as an alb, cassock/surplice, etc…
 
Why are there out of uniform days on mass days?

That would never fly here!

I would get that changed!
 
Why are there out of uniform days on mass days?

That would never fly here!

I would get that changed!
We have Mass to open Homecoming week and other dances. The school is out of uniform the whole week, so it wouldn’t matter what day Mass is on because we’d be out of uniform anyway. 95% of the school Masses take place when we’re in uniform though. And believe me, I’m trying to get this changed.

@TheMc: Thanks for the reference. Now I have something official to give them; I can use it as leverage to build my case 😃
 
Nice albs with a cincture are clearly dressier/more formal than and cassock+surplice. I think they are also more appropriate as wearing the alb is proper to all baptized Catholics.
 
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“339. In the dioceses of the United States of America, acolytes, altar servers, lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.”
 
Nice albs with a cincture are clearly dressier/more formal than and cassock+surplice. I think they are also more appropriate as wearing the alb is proper to all baptized Catholics.
Are you kidding?? Albs classier & more formal than cassock & surplice?? Compared to a cassock and surplice most altar server albs look like night clothes. Even with a cincture.
 
Are you kidding?? Albs classier & more formal than cassock & surplice?? Compared to a cassock and surplice most altar server albs look like night clothes. Even with a cincture.
I have to agree entirely. In my personal opinion, they look very sloppy. Most servers hike the albs up, have the cincture on crooked, and look more like they got out of bed recently than being ready to serve at Mass.

I’ve heard various people refer to them as looking like:
  • Ku Klux Klan outfits
  • Pajamas
  • Baptismal Gowns
  • Sheets
 
I have to agree entirely. In my personal opinion, they look very sloppy. Most servers hike the albs up, have the cincture on crooked, and look more like they got out of bed recently than being ready to serve at Mass.

I’ve heard various people refer to them as looking like:
  • Ku Klux Klan outfits
  • Pajamas
  • Baptismal Gowns
  • Sheets
Albs ARE baptismal gowns.
 
Albs ARE baptismal gowns.
I’m quite aware of that meaning. I just mentioned what many other people have said to me without filtering through them. Make of it what you will. I tend to think they just look ridiculous.
 
Are you kidding?? Albs classier & more formal than cassock & surplice?? Compared to a cassock and surplice most altar server albs look like night clothes. Even with a cincture.
There is absolutely no question that an alb is classier and more formal than a cassock and a surplice in the context of altar servers. I don’t choose the cassock/surplice simply because it was in common use in years past.

Oh Ash Wednesday I had to set-up and serve one of the Masses because we were sans deacons and younger servers. I wore a black cassock, a white amice, a white alb with lace on the arms and down by my shins that made it clear I was wearing a cassock and a proper white cincture. It would still have looked great without the cassock (so long as one is wearing black slacks and a white dress shirt), just less formal. Either way it looked far more elegant, classy and formal then if I would have replaced the alb/amice/cincture with a surplice. This is particularly true in the USA where servers do not wear the Roman collar leaving a very unfinished appearance at the neck.

Yes I know, not everyone vests as formally as I did. Still across the board the alb and cincture looks more elegant, classy and formal. The worst of the albs – the baggy hooded numbers that try to make servers look like monks still look a heck of a lot better than the worst of the cassock/surplice combos including the cassocks that come to mid shin/mid forearm with surplices (or cottas) that barely hang down to the waist. That and the aforementioned unfinished collar treatment makes them a distance second to a nice alb and accessories.
 
I’m quite aware of that meaning. I just mentioned what many other people have said to me without filtering through them. Make of it what you will. I tend to think they just look ridiculous.
Altar servers could look nice in albs if, instead of those cheap polyester-cotton thingies with hoods, they used well fitted heavy albs. Unfortunately they are usually many times the price. It’s probably cheaper to outfit them in cassocks and surplices than nice fitting albs.

Sidenote: my dad was an altar server in cassock & surplice for almost 30 years (aged 12-39, he married late:D). When he officially gave it up in the mid 50s, his surplice was washed, pleated & tied and given to him. I now have it. I’m afraid to untie it, worried that the fabric will crack, but I would love to have a shadow box made with his surplice, missal and the rosary which he was given on his 25th anniversary as an altar server.
 
There is absolutely no question that an alb is classier and more formal than a cassock and a surplice in the context of altar servers.
Sure there is. We just raised that question here. Please do not speak in such absolutes.
 
Pre-Vatican II (meaning BEFORE Vatican II) and during it, I wore Army Fatigues and Combat Boots to serve daily Mass. We had cassocks, etc available, but we wore our duty work uniforms.

Jeans and tee shirts, shorts, etc. are inappropriate. But, so long as they are decently dressed, what is the problem? Are you there to carp about what the servers are wearing, or are you there top participate in the Mass and receive Communion?

Keep in mid that Jesus NEVER rebuked anyone for what they were wearing, unless what they were wearing was meant to call attention to themselves.
 
From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) approved for the USA, which can be accessed from romanrite.com/girm.html :

“339. In the dioceses of the United States of America, acolytes, altar servers, lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.”
Back when I was occasional altar-geezer for Fr. Kevin (who had bad knees and feet, and needed the help on days when Deacon Michael wasn’t there), this was the dress advice that I had. I am a security supervisor, and my uniform is black dress pants with my white uniform shirt, which I keep on the site. On days when I knew I was going to be serving, I would wear a long-sleeve white dress shirt with my black pants. To this day I don’t know if our parish has adult-size cassocks and albs.

DaveBj
 
Keep in mid that Jesus NEVER rebuked anyone for what they were wearing, unless what they were wearing was meant to call attention to themselves.
That’s because no priest had the gall to go into the holy of holies not properly vested. If he did, I’m sure Jesus might have a word or two to say to him.

Also, He gave his authority to the apostles, who in turn passed their authority down through the church, who has given us these documents on how to properly celebrate and assist at Mass.

Therefore, we should obey them as if we were obeying The Lord Jesus himself, because that is what he has asked of us.

The church has asked that altar servers wear an alb or “other lawfully approved vesture” (such as a cassock and surplice).
 
The church has asked that altar servers wear an alb or “other lawfully approved vesture” (such as a cassock and surplice).
Lawfully approved vesture could be a nice shirt and tie, depending on the parish. Beats the shorts, t-shirt, ankle socks and oxfords worn by one woman who serves at the altar in our parish during the summer.
 
Pre-Vatican II (meaning BEFORE Vatican II) and during it, I wore Army Fatigues and Combat Boots to serve daily Mass. We had cassocks, etc available, but we wore our duty work uniforms.

Jeans and tee shirts, shorts, etc. are inappropriate. But, so long as they are decently dressed, what is the problem? Are you there to carp about what the servers are wearing, or are you there top participate in the Mass and receive Communion?

Keep in mid that Jesus NEVER rebuked anyone for what they were wearing, unless what they were wearing was meant to call attention to themselves.
Why? Were you under fire all the time?

Your “duty work uniforms” is akin to typical clothes in this context. Why didn’t you make the effort to wear something more appropriate over your “duty work uniforms?”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top