Altar Setup

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jamesdunn72
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamesdunn72

Guest
We got a beautiful framed Sacred Heart picture recently and are not sure how to set it up. I searched the internet for Catholic Altar setup’s but havent found any good information. Can you’ll please send me images of your home altar setup so that I can get an idea of how to set up ours? I think people usually put the picture on the table or hang it on the wall.

Have a blessed day!
James
 
We got a beautiful framed Sacred Heart picture recently and are not sure how to set it up. I searched the internet for Catholic Altar setup’s but havent found any good information. Can you’ll please send me images of your home altar setup so that I can get an idea of how to set up ours? I think people usually put the picture on the table or hang it on the wall.

Have a blessed day!
James
I have a beautiful framed picture of the Sacred Heart and it is over my fireplace mantel. I decided to have the enthronement of the Sacred Heart. Several friends and a priest was there. It was an inspiring ceremony where I carried the picture from the kitchen to the living room and hung it over the mantel. Everyone else followed in procession. Jesus was enthroned as King of my family. It lasted about 15 minutes with the prayers and the CD song, and then we all had coffee and cake.

I had asked the Legion of Mary to set this up for me. Sometimes parishes have retreats where families sign up for this special enthronement of the Sacred Heart.

Here is a sample ceremony if you are interested:

sacredheartdevotion.com/enthronement.htm
 
Don’t know if this helps, but here it is.
The OP asked for a home altar setup. The arrangement of a church’s altar of Sacrifice would be inappropriate for a home altar intended for prayer and veneration.
 
I, too, am interested in where to put framed artwork of our Lord. I have a crucifix in the center of the sofa table on the wall (no sofa there, just had the table & thought it worked), with candles to each side & in the center on the table, the Bible with the Liturgy of the Hours & a Missal on either side so I have easy access for whichever I want to read at the time. The artwork I want to display is the Christ the High Priest icon (not sure of the official name, I bought it a few years ago). I’m not sure where to put it as I want to leave the crucifix where it is & I suppose that would be the best place for the icon. Looking forward to the answers.
 
The OP asked for a home altar setup. The arrangement of a church’s altar of Sacrifice would be inappropriate for a home altar intended for prayer and veneration.
I have a problem with the word “inappropriate”. It just sounds like your opinion. Where is that stated in Church literature?
 
I have a problem with the word “inappropriate”. It just sounds like your opinion. Where is that stated in Church literature?
Code of Canon Law:
Can. 932 §1 The eucharistic celebration is to be carried out in a sacred place, unless in a particular case necessity requires otherwise; in which case the celebration must be in a fitting place.

§2 The eucharistic Sacrifice must be carried out at an altar that is dedicated or blessed. Outside a sacred place an appropriate table may be used, but always with an altar cloth and a corporal.
If you are some kind of rich person who has a personal priest and a home oratory where an altar of sacrifice is dedicated to the offering of Mass atop it, then I am sure your suggested arrangement would be quite appropriate. But for ordinary people who are not priests and do not have Mass celebrated in the home, an arrangement intended for such is decidedly inappropriate in the eyes of the Church.

In particular, the only real objectionable part of your suggested drawing is a tabernacle, which would never be present in the home of individuals.
Code of Canon Law:
Can. 938 §1 The blessed Eucharist is to be reserved habitually in only one tabernacle of a church or oratory.

§2 The tabernacle in which the blessed Eucharist is reserved should be sited in a distinguished place in the church or oratory, a place which is conspicuous, suitably adorned and conducive to prayer.

§3 The tabernacle in which the blessed Eucharist is habitually reserved is to be immovable, made of solid and non-transparent material, and so locked as to give the greatest security against any danger of profanation.
General Instructions of the Roman Missal:
  1. In accordance with the structure of each church and legitimate local customs, the Most Blessed Sacrament should be reserved in a tabernacle in a part of the church that is truly noble, prominent, conspicuous, worthily decorated, and suitable for prayer.[124]
The tabernacle should usually be the only one, be irremovable, be made of solid and inviolable material that is not transparent, and be locked in such a way that the danger of profanation is prevented to the greatest extent possible.[125] Moreover, it is appropriate that before it is put into liturgical use, the tabernacle be blessed according to the rite described in the Roman Ritual.[126]
  1. It is more appropriate as a sign that on an altar on which Mass is celebrated there not be a tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved.[127]
Consequently, it is preferable that the tabernacle be located, according to the judgment of the Diocesan Bishop:

a) either in the sanctuary, apart from the altar of celebration, in a appropriate form and place, not excluding its being positioned on an old altar no longer used for celebration (cf. no. 303);

b) or even in some chapel suitable for the private adoration and prayer of the faithful[128] and organically connected to the church and readily noticeable by the Christian faithful.
  1. In accordance with traditional custom, near the tabernacle a special lamp, fueled by oil or wax, should shine permanently to indicate the presence of Christ and honor it.[129]
  2. In no way should any of the other things be forgotten which are prescribed by law concerning the reservation of the Most Holy Eucharist.[130]
The other arrangements are ordinary furnishings that are certainly suitable for a home altar, although you would certainly not use blessed altar cloths for an altar meant for personal devotion.
 
I would suggest taking a small step back and consider terminology. Getting terminology right and avoiding bad terminology can really help in details of design.

You are not putting an altar in your house. An altar, by definition, is for sacrifice. So altars are in Churches, chapels, oratorios, etc where mass will be said. Otherwise it is a devotional space.

Correct terminology will lead to better understanding of the space you are implementing, which will then lead to more functional and beautiful result.
 
Good point. I think the colloquial usage of the word “altar” has a broader meaning, but in a strict definition you are correct.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top