L
LotusCarsLtd
Guest
I am the type of person who is extremely sensitive to people’s races and ethnicities. I will, for instance, try to determine what someone’s race or ethnicity is when I bump into them or see their last names, etc. I don’t see myself as racist but I am nonetheless very keen to it. I might say, for instance, “I think that black girl is cute” rather than “I think that girl is cute” and I see nothing wrong with this…I am simply noticing a trait of this person. Or I might take notice to the fact that a bus has 20 people on board, 3 of whom are white, 10 of whom are Hispanic, and 7 of whom are black…again, this is simply something I notice and nothing to do with racism.
So tonight I mentioned to my friends an observation I have made on numerous occasions regarding the show “Family Feud”. It always seems that whenever I see the show the producers always pit a white family against a minority family and I find this to be an interesting observation. I find it to be strange and a part of me wonders if it’s done on purpose or something.
And then, out of nowhere, my friend (who was obviously upset) asks me why I notice race so much, stating that it is wrong of me to do so. I said I didn’t know and that I didn’t see anything wrong with this trait of mine. But he said again that it’s wrong for me to notice race like this and that I should focus on the person for who they are, not for their inborn traits.
I’m curious if it is wrong for me to take notice to people’s race in this manner. I’m not racist, but my friend’s comment made me wonder if I am wrong for doing this.
So tonight I mentioned to my friends an observation I have made on numerous occasions regarding the show “Family Feud”. It always seems that whenever I see the show the producers always pit a white family against a minority family and I find this to be an interesting observation. I find it to be strange and a part of me wonders if it’s done on purpose or something.
And then, out of nowhere, my friend (who was obviously upset) asks me why I notice race so much, stating that it is wrong of me to do so. I said I didn’t know and that I didn’t see anything wrong with this trait of mine. But he said again that it’s wrong for me to notice race like this and that I should focus on the person for who they are, not for their inborn traits.
I’m curious if it is wrong for me to take notice to people’s race in this manner. I’m not racist, but my friend’s comment made me wonder if I am wrong for doing this.