Am I breaking the fourth commanent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter IzzyD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IzzyD

Guest
This is a question that has been nagging at me for a while. My father left three years ago and I no longer have contact with him because he had very unpredictable slightly violent tendencies. He had also become a buddhist and was constantly trying to convert me. I know I am not “honouring” him but I just can’t bear to be in the same room as him.
 
People often misunderstand the 4th commandment, thinking it means parents can do anything and children (even grown ones) have to just take it.

No, that is not the case.

I suggest reading the entire catechism section on the 4th commandment.
 
Q. 1266. If parents or superiors neglect their duty or abuse their authority in any particular, should we follow their direction and example in that particular?
A. If parents or superiors neglect their duty or abuse their authority in any particular we should not follow their direction or example in that particular, but follow the dictates of our conscience in the performance of our duty. " Baltimore Catechism
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top