Am I disqualified for communion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter elohimrules
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elohimrules

Guest
Hi everyone,
I am new here to Catholic Answers forum. My question/ or concern I guess is this. I went to the Catholic church as a child until high school. It’s a long story after that what happened but to make a long story short I went off into Protestant religion, got married then divorce 1 1/2 years later. 10 years later got married again to a non-believer as I was strayed myself then we got divorced 3 years later. Through all this I still believed in God but had many difficulties. My question is this. I heard that if I want to become Catholic again as when I was a child that I can never take communion. Is this true?
Thanks.
 
maybe I should have posted this in the Apologetics area, not sure.
 
No that is not true.

Please make an appointment with the pastor of your local Catholic Church. Tell him you have been away from the Church for some years and want to return. Discuss what sacraments you have already received and which ones you may need (Confimation for example).

Your priest will guide you regarding what you need to do.
 
Speak to your pastor. He will be able to guide you best. Ask about what you need to do right now to begin receiving communion again. Remember that you can certainly attend Mass without receiving. There are many wonderful prayers for spiritual communion that you can say while in the pews during communion.

A second set of questions is what you need to do if you want/plan to remarry in the future.
 
When you speak to your pastor, tell him EVERYTHING about your past life. Do not hold anything back from him. He needs to know it all so that he can guide you back to the Church and the sacrament of the Holy Eucharist. Not making a confession, just giving him ALL of the facts.

Welcome Home, BTW.

:love:👋
 
God bless. Annullment and retreats and likely course of action being divorced and remarried. I would avoid communion till speaking with a Fr as you may be living in mortal sin thus disqualified for communion at this time. John 3:16
 
You need to make an appointment with a priest and explain your situation to him. What sacraments you received as a Catholic, baptism, confirmation, the circumstances of your marriages. You may need to apply to the diocesan marriage tribunal for an annulment of your marriages or you may just need to make a good confession to return to the church.

Good luck!
 
Hi everyone,
I am new here to Catholic Answers forum. My question/ or concern I guess is this. I went to the Catholic church as a child until high school. It’s a long story after that what happened but to make a long story short I went off into Protestant religion, got married then divorce 1 1/2 years later. 10 years later got married again to a non-believer as I was strayed myself then we got divorced 3 years later. Through all this I still believed in God but had many difficulties. My question is this. I heard that if I want to become Catholic again as when I was a child that I can never take communion. Is this true?
Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, you are not currently married? If that’s the case, you may only need to go to Confession to return to the Sacraments. The marriage issues will need to be sorted out eventually but are not an obstacle to returning to the Sacraemental life of the Church **if **you are not currently married. Start with Confession and Father will tell you if there is anything else you need to do.
 
Welcome back! 🙂 I agree with the comments above. Please let us know how it goes! God bless you!
 
Thanks everyone. I am attending my first Catholic mass this weekend in some time. I am looking forward to it. I will talk to a priest or someone in the church at some point about my questions, maybe the RICA class would be good not sure. My recent husband and I still love and care about each other and are open to reconciliation, but that is another topic down the road to discuss with the priest. Anyways, thanks everyone for your support.

It’s strange but I had a dream about the Catholic church last night. A woman dressed in a robe asked me if I wanted to partake of communion. I told her that I am not able to right now but that I would like to when I am ready. Also, an older gentleman asked me if I was serious about Catholicism. I told him I am serious about learning about it.

I need to learn more about the arguments between catholics/ and protestants. I believe both are Christian and that is what I know I am. But I need to understand both sides to chose. I have a lot of questions. I see good points on both fences I guess 😉 Anyways, thanks so much, love this forum! God bless.
 
I’m glad you’re going to Mass.

Don’t put off being formally reconciled with the Church. Don’t be shy about it. Get some certain answers from the priest and go to Confession, and you’ll feel a lot better.

We will be praying for you!
 
My best wishes for the reconciliation with your husband and for your coming back in the Catholic church.
Here you can ask everything you want because there are many former catholics who attended one or more protestant churches, maybe made a ‘new’ baptism and after come back at home. I’m one of them. 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top