Am I doing Lent correctly?

  • Thread starter Thread starter newcalling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcalling

Guest
This is my first time celebrating Lent. I haven’t even received the sacraments yet (other than baptism as a baby. ) I’m just wondering if I am doing it right.

Everyone seems to give up something for Lent, but evaluating my life and giving up anything which interferes with my walk with God is a regular thing for me. Thus, I couldn’t really find anything to give up this year. Instead, I committed to saying a daily rosary, giving up time. In addition, my best friend and I are going through a program to read the entire Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic church in one year, and we both agreed to read at least two days worth of readings every day during Lent, three on Sundays. Thing is, I hope to continue saying a daily rosary even after Lent, using Lent to get into the habit. I’m not sure what I will have to do for next year.

We did well with the fast for Ash Wednesday, only had one big meal with fish for the meat and only needed one snack. We decided a couple of months ago to keep the Friday meat abstinence year round, so that isn’t a problem. My friend is also waiting on first confession and first communion.

Is there anything else which we should be doing? What do you do when you run out of things to add/remove from your life? We attend mass at least once a week, and would do more if we could afford the gasoline.
 
That sounds like a fine Lenten program to me. I’m trying to give up time in order to add prayer and reading as well and I’m a cradle Catholic.

Every year you’ll be able to find some way to give something up or add something as a Lenten practice - don’t worry about future years, just concentrate on this year.
 
This is my first time celebrating Lent. I haven’t even received the sacraments yet (other than baptism as a baby. ) I’m just wondering if I am doing it right.

Everyone seems to give up something for Lent, but evaluating my life and giving up anything which interferes with my walk with God is a regular thing for me. Thus, I couldn’t really find anything to give up this year. Instead, I committed to saying a daily rosary, giving up time. In addition, my best friend and I are going through a program to read the entire Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic church in one year, and we both agreed to read at least two days worth of readings every day during Lent, three on Sundays. Thing is, I hope to continue saying a daily rosary even after Lent, using Lent to get into the habit. I’m not sure what I will have to do for next year.

We did well with the fast for Ash Wednesday, only had one big meal with fish for the meat and only needed one snack. We decided a couple of months ago to keep the Friday meat abstinence year round, so that isn’t a problem. My friend is also waiting on first confession and first communion.

Is there anything else which we should be doing? What do you do when you run out of things to add/remove from your life? We attend mass at least once a week, and would do more if we could afford the gasoline.
I wish there were more Catholics as faithful in the Lenten observance as you. God bless you for that! Lent is a time of reflection and preparation for the coming Passion of Christ and His Resurrection. Most times we think of giving something up for our Lenten offering but sometimes it’s good, as you’ve done, to add something to our offering. Praying a daily Rosary is a great addition! Other additions I’ve heard are speaking with someone who’s shut in and cannot make it to Mass; give them a call every Sunday to remind them the parish hasn’t forgotten them. Take them a small snack or a light meal. Read scripture to them over the phone or offer to do their laundry if that is possible. Small things make a difference when you’re not capable of leaving your house. God bless you again for your devotion.:signofcross:
 
That sounds like a fine Lenten program to me. I’m trying to give up time in order to add prayer and reading as well and I’m a cradle Catholic.

Every year you’ll be able to find some way to give something up or add something as a Lenten practice - don’t worry about future years, just concentrate on this year.
I’m sort of doing the same thing. I’m arranging to get up a half hour earlier every morning (5:30 am instead of 6), in order to incorporate more lectio divina into my day. I pray the Liturgy of the Hours every day and I rearranged my schedule so I can put that half hour of lectio directly between the Office of Readings and Lauds. For lectio, I use the readings from the 2-year Office of Readings lectionary and the Mass readings of the day; the lectionary readings and the first Mass reading to get me into the spirit if things as it were, and the Gospel is my actual meditative (lectio) reading. I use the 1-year lectionary of the LOTH in the prayer of the OOR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top