Am I in Mortal Sin for cheating?

• Thread starter Thread starter Startingcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How often is this heard from the pulpit anymore?
Homilies on sin, forgiveness, mercy, Confession? Probably the second most frequent topic.
Just out of curiosity, when exactly does this come up in RCIA, and how much emphasis is given to it? Anybody know?
Well, in the instruction classes that prepare the unbaptized for RCIA, there is no set curriculum. I’ve been involved with programs that use ACM, programs where the Pastor simply does a topic every week using the Bible and Catechism, I know one that works through the Compendium of the Catechism, one that uses the Catholic Answers Bible with its companion RCIA prep guide. Currently, our parish uses Symbalon on Formed.org.

For Christians who are coming into full communion, or Catholics who are “catching up on Sacraments”, the instruction is tailored to where they are. They have a discussion with Father, and then some need basic Christianity 101, some are in a place where they could be leading the instruction classes.

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
How often is this heard from the pulpit anymore?
Homilies on sin, forgiveness, mercy, Confession? Probably the second most frequent topic.
But mortal sin, what it is, what it consists of, what the eternal consequences of it are? Very, very rare to hear anything about it.

Perhaps because I hear 9 homilies each week I have experienced a greater breadth of topics? I don’t know. Is every homily “hell fire and damnation til you feel it burn your cheek”? No, neither was Christ’s every sermon about hell. The consequences of sin, the importance and urgency of Confession? Yep, I’d say at least once every couple of weeks.

So wouldn’t it be better for people not to know since they may not stop the sin and it’s better if they are not culpable?

Last edited:
Perhaps because I hear 9 homilies each week I have experienced a greater breadth of topics? I don’t know. Is every homily “hell fire and damnation til you feel it burn your cheek”? No, neither was Christ’s every sermon about hell. The consequences of sin, the importance and urgency of Confession? Yep, I’d say at least once every couple of weeks.
Evidently you and I go to different parishes.

I think I’d like your parish.

So wouldn’t it be better for people not to know since they may not stop the sin and it’s better if they are not culpable?
God is not mocked.
1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice. Feigned ignorance and hardness of heart do not diminish, but rather increase, the voluntary character of a sin.

1860 Unintentional ignorance can diminish or even remove the imputability of a grave offense. But no one is deemed to be ignorant of the principles of the moral law, which are written in the conscience of every man. the promptings of feelings and passions can also diminish the voluntary and free character of the offense, as can external pressures or pathological disorders. Sin committed through malice, by deliberate choice of evil, is the gravest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back