Am I the only one? Re:Facebook

  • Thread starter Thread starter skigirl1689
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i generally don’t like it. i joined to get back in touch with a LOT of old high school friends i’d lost touch with. i generally don’t post a LOT, because my way of talking/posting regularly has something to do with my religious values…if i want to talk with people, i private message them (i saw on tv yesterday though that some private messages are showing up on people’s timelines!)…BOOOO!!!

my brother, on the other hand, constantly posts his political beliefs, insults, anti-church statements, extreme cursing, etc and expects us all to accept them. i’m surprised he still has a management job since many of his employees are ‘friends’ with him and they could easily pass it along!
 
I have not found a problem with Facebook. But then again I don’t use it much:shrug: My nephews asked my to post what few:( pictures I had of their mother who had died. When I went to a cousin’t funereal, her children asked if I was the one that was their friend on Facebook. I had never met them and it was nice to have a connection. My children have used my account to play games.

If I had the problems that others have mentioned, I would delete it too. If I could figure out how?
 
I’ll admit, I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. It’s absolutely wonderful for keeping in touch with my family, who live far from us, and my friends from a summer camp I attended as well as from college.

But it’s caused a lot of hurt too. Three years ago I found out my uncle had died via FB, it was expected, but still a horrible way to find out, at school (college) but I was still living at home.

And then there’s tonight where I found out my cousin got married today, totally out of the blue, thought the wedding was next February. I expected it to be a small family wedding and did not expect to be invited. But it’s like, is nothing important enough to tell family first before telling the entire world first?

Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, belonging to the wrong generation. It just seems I find out more and more family news via FB and it kind of makes me uncomfortable with the trend.

Am I the only one???
I’ll say I’m mixed. It’s (for me) a great forum for self expression and a great way to keep in touch with people I wouldn’t otherwise have an opportunity to keep in touch with due to distance, scheduling conflicts, etc.

At the same time it can be hard if you’re, for example, in a bad mood and see an endless stream of happy-go-lucky FB posts. I think some psychologists and other social scientists have found that FB can cause depression, which I wouldn’t find surprising.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top