America the Beautiful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter twiztedseraph
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
twiztedseraph:
Note I still dislike the war and the fact that the media played it as if there were no civilian casualties.
I am interested to know what media acted as if there were no civilian casualties? I heard about the casualties all along. Did your media fail to report on the war?
 
40.png
didymus:
I’ve already responded to your question but I just thought I’d add; it’s amazing how American I become once a foreigner questions US policy.

Among my fellow Americans, en famille, so to speak, I’m perfectly willing to savage the current administration (any current administration), criticise US institutions, &c., &c., but let a foreigner say something and – well, I don’t turn into Bill O’Reilly but I nmight start quoting him.

I first noticed this last year during the election. At my job there are two young ladies from Haiti and a woman from Rouanda. To hear them rip Geo. Bush apart you might have thought he was Hitler – and it didn’t help that they all had French accents!! (would it be un-Christian to nuke Paris?)
A good rule is, “Politics ends at the water’s edge.”

Particularly when the lives of American soldiers are at risk.
 
I don’t know if this thought crossed anyone else’s mind, but when I first saw the reports about what happened at Abu G., all I could think was, “This is what happens when you teach a whole generation that life has no value”. I mean, these soldiers were pretty much all born after Roe V. Wade (at least the ones I saw. Don’t know about the higher-ups), so they have only known legal abortion and the whole culture that has come about as a result. Combine that with the immaturity of many young adults in this culture, the bad press about the war, and a deep resentment about 9-11 and you get a great recipe for antics like those at Abu G. Does this make sense to anyone else? Or am I completely off my rocker?
 
40.png
legeorge:
I don’t know if this thought crossed anyone else’s mind, but when I first saw the reports about what happened at Abu G., all I could think was, “This is what happens when you teach a whole generation that life has no value”. I mean, these soldiers were pretty much all born after Roe V. Wade (at least the ones I saw. Don’t know about the higher-ups), so they have only known legal abortion and the whole culture that has come about as a result. Combine that with the immaturity of many young adults in this culture, the bad press about the war, and a deep resentment about 9-11 and you get a great recipe for antics like those at Abu G. Does this make sense to anyone else? Or am I completely off my rocker?
It has to do with a lot of things – including a general who failed to supervise her troops.

The bottom line at Abu Graib is that it has made propaganda for the enemy and the people responsible should have been punished severely. In the case of General Karpaski, she was unfortunately released from active duty, and under Miller vs US cannot be tried. She was, however administratively reduced to colonel.
 
40.png
didymus:
(would it be un-Christian to nuke Paris?)
Spare yourself the moral quandary – they are dying off and aren’t reproducing enough of themselves to continue their ancient lineages.
 
vern humphrey:
It has to do with a lot of things – including a general who failed to supervise her troops.

The bottom line at Abu Graib is that it has made propaganda for the enemy
and for the New York Times
vern humphrey:
and the people responsible should have been punished severely. In the case of General Karpaski, she was unfortunately released from active duty, and under Miller vs US cannot be tried. She was, however administratively reduced to colonel.
I don’t think that this unit was representative of our Troops although they keep getting top billing in many papers. It should not have happened. However, we should be able to get beyond it at least in our own country. Unfortunately many politicians would rather bring us down that move on.
 
Someone asked about why I thought the media talked as if there were no civilian casualties. Well again I apologise, I meant to draw attention to the fact that Iraq was billed as a “careful” war, you know, only bombing military points etc. I have cable so I watch all the American news corporations and thats how it sounded (except cnn, they’re cool, but they’re also into creating alot of hostility, ie coverage after death of The Servant of God John Paul II) also I remember watching Doctor Phil when these activists came on and he berated them, insisting there was an iraqi link to Alqaida and that they shouldn’t protest as it reduced troop morale. Well I can agree to a point on that but they’re side wasn’t heard, the dixie chicks copped hell for expressing themselves, what about free speech? Isnt that something we all love and cherish? Yet with this “Uber-Patriotism” being displayed, individuals who criticize the government are repressed not by a law or secret police but by their own friends who have been to a point programmed to believe and think only what they are told. To conclude, I don’t think America is evil, that would be stupid (though I can’t disagree with those that point out that most of the funny protestant sects come from there, ideas for school shootings, drugs, guns etc come from there, but hey thats not really your fault just the media is violent and you guys control the media (serious voice not sarcasm, for real)) despite this I mean you guys rock, just look at ca. NOTE: No sarcasm has been used in this post
 
Oh and what do you have against the french? They’re cool, when I went to france they were seriously among the most polite, most helpful people I have ever met. I didn’t meet a single french man I didn’t like. There were however a few loud mouthed tourists that ticked me off.
 
40.png
twiztedseraph:
the dixie chicks copped hell for expressing themselves, what about free speech? Isnt that something we all love and cherish? Yet with this “Uber-Patriotism” being displayed, individuals who criticize the government are repressed not by a law or secret police but by their own friends who have been to a point programmed to believe and think only what they are told.
**If someone bashes the government, that’s freedom of speech. If someone else disagrees with him, then he is repressive and “programmed to believe and think only what they have been told”?? What kind of BS is this? Is someone who agrees with the government on an issue not entitled to the same freedom of speech that the other side claims as their constitutional right? What makes that person unable to think for himself? What makes him a blind follower? Your logic and double standards are about as twisted as your user name. **
 
40.png
twiztedseraph:
Someone asked about why I thought the media talked as if there were no civilian casualties. Well again I apologise, I meant to draw attention to the fact that Iraq was billed as a “careful” war, you know, only bombing military points etc. I have cable so I watch all the American news corporations and thats how it sounded (except cnn, they’re cool, but they’re also into creating alot of hostility, ie coverage after death of The Servant of God John Paul II) also I remember watching Doctor Phil when these activists came on and he berated them, insisting there was an iraqi link to Alqaida and that they shouldn’t protest as it reduced troop morale. Well I can agree to a point on that but they’re side wasn’t heard, the dixie chicks copped hell for expressing themselves, what about free speech? Isnt that something we all love and cherish? Yet with this “Uber-Patriotism” being displayed, individuals who criticize the government are repressed not by a law or secret police but by their own friends who have been to a point programmed to believe and think only what they are told. To conclude, I don’t think America is evil, that would be stupid (though I can’t disagree with those that point out that most of the funny protestant sects come from there, ideas for school shootings, drugs, guns etc come from there, but hey thats not really your fault just the media is violent and you guys control the media (serious voice not sarcasm, for real)) despite this I mean you guys rock, just look at ca. NOTE: No sarcasm has been used in this post
Quite the rant! So you believe the USA invented drugs, crime, school shootings, blind patriotism, war, and funny protestant sects? Have they quit teaching history these days? No sarcasm here either.
 
Yea, I’m on a rant. I’ve been reading too many Michael Moore books. Please forgive my stupidity 😦 BTW i didnt say u guys invented drugs. Tho I may as well have, sorry I realize how stupid and ignorant I’ve sounded, thank you for opening my eyes. I still dislike George W. tho.
 
40.png
SnorterLuster:
To get Robert Kennedy elected, they first had to destroy LBJ so he wouldn’t run in 1968.
As I remember it, LBJ didn’t need much help along those lines – he did a pretty good job all on his own.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top