An Apologetics text book for 11th/12th graders

  • Thread starter Thread starter ssaroki
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ssaroki

Guest
I am a Catholic school religion teacher and I am looking for an apologetics text book for 11th/12th grade high school students. I am also looking for a text for Catholic Social Teaching and Comparative Religion for the same grade level. Any (name removed by moderator)ut would be helpful.
 
I am a Catholic school religion teacher and I am looking for an apologetics text book for 11th/12th grade high school students. I am also looking for a text for Catholic Social Teaching and Comparative Religion for the same grade level. Any (name removed by moderator)ut would be helpful.
As far as apologetics goes, the Beginning Apologetics booklets are useful for this. They’re easy to read, but provide the basics. I’ve used them for Adult Confirmandi’s and to homeschool my high-schooler. There is even a supplementary study guide with questions and suggestions for further reading:

catholicapologetics.com/ba1.htm

Hope that helps.
 
My son’s orthodox Catholic high school uses A Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli along with the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the Holy Bible.

The Beginning Apologetics series from San Juan Catholic Seminars is also good. It’s in booklet form, divided into several topics. They’re available through the Catholic Answers Web site at this link, which is a link to the search page – click on each individual title for a description and to purchase.

'thann
 
As far as comparative religion goes…

Textbooks usaully err on the side of watering down the differences in religions for the sake of pluralism under the guise of tolerance and ecumenism.

I would supplement any text here with multi-part (you’ll have to break it up and create study questions) prentation of Dominus Iesus, written by Pope Benedict XVI when he was Cardinal Ratzinger.

This will keep the focus on Jesus and the Church as the WAy, the Truth and the Life.
 
Hello All,

There are some great resources for teens out there:
  1. Did Adam and Eve Have Belly Buttons? by Matthew Pinto
  2. Did Jesus Have a Last Name? by Matthew Pinto & Jason Evert
  3. Catholic Apologetics by Fr. John Laux
  4. The Illustrated World’s Religions Huston Smith
  5. Catholic Morality by Fr. John Laux
I hope these help. :tiphat:
 
Scott Hahn has begun a series of textbooks for high school. It’s called the “Didache” series, published by Midwest Theological Forum. I have the first called “Understanding the Scriptures: A Complete Course on Bible Study”. It’s very good.

Peace,
Linda
 
The only book to use for apologetics is Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine, by Michael Sheehan, as revised by P. M. Joseph. To a large extent, I owe my strong faith to this book, which I studied during adolescence.

For Catholic social teaching, I’d use Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church, by the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. Catholic students should be introduced to the actual Magisterial documents on socioeconomic issues (and other topics) as soon as possible.

You can order both books through Amazon.com.

Good luck!

Keep and spread the Faith.
 
I am a Catholic school religion teacher and I am looking for an apologetics text book for 11th/12th grade high school students. I am also looking for a text for Catholic Social Teaching and Comparative Religion for the same grade level. Any (name removed by moderator)ut would be helpful.
I know of a person who has used “A Catholic in King James Court” or something like that. It’s a fictional story with apologetical twists.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top