T
TheRealJuliane
Guest
Granny’s rules better dovetail with the parents’ rules on anything truly important, and Granny’s attitude had better be respectful of the parents’ morals and ethics in any case. Not her own rules, but a relaxed version of THEIR rules, period.Grandma only gets her own rules if the child’s Mom and Dad say so. That is a trust call on their part.
I had to give my son specific examples of how destructive it would be to undermine a parent’s authority, he didn’t understand. I told him, “How would it be, if you and your future wife decided to be atheists, and I went and baptized your child without your knowledge?” Or if he and FW were vegetarian and I fed their child hamburgers at my house? To undermine the parents is BETRAYAL and it’s a very serious offense.
I am not saying that this Granny and Gramps are doing that…but with the attitude they are displaying, it wouldn’t be surprising if that is where things are headed. The grandparents have a great deal of responsibility because the children automatically love and accept whatever they say as the Gospel truth. They have the child’s admiration and love automatically, and the power is theirs if they choose to abuse it.