L
Lost_Wanderer
Guest
While those of you out there are probably still dealing with Labor Day blues, here’s a bit of Filipino trivia.
Around the earlier part of September, signs of Christmas signs are already starting to appear. Just last night, I overheard the evening news with the countdown (“Only 112 days left till Christmas! 8D”)
What’s funny is that I’m not entirely as thrilled as I used to be when I was a chubby eight-year-old. I actually screamed out, “AND IT STARTS!!! DX” My fingers drummed the table while my other hand reached down into the space where my wallet is.
Most people would think that this is the fault of Christmas’ commercialization. I actually disagree. I actually think there’s no problem with paying so much just to do all those warm, fuzzy family things (dinners, gifts, preparations etc).
That moment just made me realize, perhaps I have indeed outgrown the Little Christmas Boy in me. That kid used to enjoy the age-old privilege of eating, staying up late, and getting a bit more pampered compared to other times of the year. Today, 17 years later, I’m the one now who has to do the pampering (and I’m not even married).
Like I said, I don’t really hate it. I’m just not sure it’s closer to being my favorite holiday season anymore. In fact, I’ve been leaning heavily towards the Halloween spirit more than anything else. Summer’s too much of a party animal and Valentines is… complicated.
All in all, it’s no longer a surprise to me why I see myself hanging with zombies, werewolves, ghosts, and yes, vampires (that’s right sis, I’m looking at you) compared to angels, little gnome-ish elves, and smiling snowmen.
So anyone else? I know some of my friends also feel the same. Just wondering if I can find more among CAF’s denizens.
Around the earlier part of September, signs of Christmas signs are already starting to appear. Just last night, I overheard the evening news with the countdown (“Only 112 days left till Christmas! 8D”)
What’s funny is that I’m not entirely as thrilled as I used to be when I was a chubby eight-year-old. I actually screamed out, “AND IT STARTS!!! DX” My fingers drummed the table while my other hand reached down into the space where my wallet is.
Most people would think that this is the fault of Christmas’ commercialization. I actually disagree. I actually think there’s no problem with paying so much just to do all those warm, fuzzy family things (dinners, gifts, preparations etc).
That moment just made me realize, perhaps I have indeed outgrown the Little Christmas Boy in me. That kid used to enjoy the age-old privilege of eating, staying up late, and getting a bit more pampered compared to other times of the year. Today, 17 years later, I’m the one now who has to do the pampering (and I’m not even married).
Like I said, I don’t really hate it. I’m just not sure it’s closer to being my favorite holiday season anymore. In fact, I’ve been leaning heavily towards the Halloween spirit more than anything else. Summer’s too much of a party animal and Valentines is… complicated.
All in all, it’s no longer a surprise to me why I see myself hanging with zombies, werewolves, ghosts, and yes, vampires (that’s right sis, I’m looking at you) compared to angels, little gnome-ish elves, and smiling snowmen.
So anyone else? I know some of my friends also feel the same. Just wondering if I can find more among CAF’s denizens.