"Angel" in Rev 2-3

  • Thread starter Thread starter garysibio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garysibio

Guest
I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. I did a search but got about a zillion irrelevant responses.

I know that the Greek word translated angel is angellos and literally means messenger. It does not have to refer to a supernatural being. Rev 2 & 3 makes repeated reference to the angel of a particular church. I suppose this could refer to a spiritual being but it also might refer to the church’s bishop who would carry the message to the church. Does anyone know of any statements from the Church Fathers about this?
 
I would love to hear the formal reply to this. The Cathecism has a big section on angels, but nothing specific to these verses. scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p5.htm

I have always heard they are the churches guardians angels, just like we have guardian angels.

Anyone have any formal reply?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top