Angel of the Lord?

• Thread starter Thread starter Stanislaw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is exactly what Angel means.
Yes… and no.

The Greek word ἄγγελος (‘aggelos’, pronounced ‘angelos’) has the meaning “messenger”. And, etymologically speaking, ἄγγελος gives rise to the English word ‘angel’. However, that doesn’t mean that what is expressed in Greek as ‘aggelos’ is “angel”; rather, it’s “messenger”.

So, if you want to say that Jesus is the “messenger” of God, then… umm… ok. I tend to think that Jesus is God, and not just “God’s messenger”.
🤷‍♂️
He’s affirmming the Trinity. He’s not saying the Son isn’t the Angel of the Lord.
In fact, what he’s saying is “Jesus isn’t ‘God’, in entirety, and the text also says ‘God’, so…” 😉
Which is something, you did.
Have a lovely evening, Julius.

The Greek word ἄγγελος (‘aggelos’, pronounced ‘angelos’) has the meaning “messenger”. And, etymologically speaking, ἄγγελος gives rise to the English word ‘angel’. However, that doesn’t mean that what is expressed in Greek as ‘aggelos’ is “angel”; rather, it’s “messenger”.

So, if you want to say that Jesus is the “messenger” of God, then… umm… ok. I tend to think that Jesus is God, and not just “God’s messenger”.
He’s both. He’s the Second Person of the Holy Trinity AND He’s the Messenger of God the Father, the First Person of the Holy Trinity.

This is why He’s the Angel of the Lord in the Old Testament. The Angel is the Lord and distinct from the Lord.

Jesus Himself describes Himself as sent by God in addition to being God.

It becomes fun when folks assert “you’re wrong and you have to hold to my belief in this matter”, on something that’s not being asserted by the Church as such.
When I first joined many years ago, I thought that was the very reason this forum existed! 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back