Anger necessary before forgiveness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Annie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Annie

Guest
Some people and I were talking about this, and some thought that one had to become angry in order to forgive. Others disagreed.

I am unsure what to think about this.

Thanks 🙂
 
Last edited:
In short, no. You can still make the choice to forgive whether you have the feeling of anger or not.
 
If anger is necessary for forgiveness, then God the Father could not forgive because He cannot feel emotion.
 
If it is anger over injustice or hardness of heart , it is fine but anger that leads to fantasies of revenge is damaging to the soul.
 
Hurt and anger are natural human responses to injustice or abuse of any kind. One shouldn’t pretend these feelings don’t exist, that would be unhealthy, so to acknowledge them, at least to oneself, is simple commonsense.
Forgiveness is a choice,
 
Last edited:
Perhaps what they meant is you have to have been hurt by what was done to forgive.

I wouldn’t feel the need to forgive someone for stealing a French fry from my plate for example. But they wronged me. It’s all on how people are defining terms I guess. One could also view situations like that as immediate forgiveness.
 
Anger is strange. I can’t think of a time in my life I have been angry at someone. The only person I get angry at is God. And I feel bad
 
No, they were insistent that you had to get angry. It was odd as I had never heard that before.

Maybe they heard something wrong, like you have to forgive if you are angry, but they got it turned around?
 
Do you think you might be blaming God for things which are actually the fault of those around you? You might be getting mad at the wrong person.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top