F
farmerdan
Guest
I grew up in an Atheist family. I was confirmed in the CofE at 10 yars old. When I started secondary school I regularly attended the school chapel for communion. This was led by an Anglican priest who had a stong influnece on my christian up-bringing. He has now been ordained as a Catholic Priest, and I always considered him to be an Anglo-Catholic.
During my 5 years at university I feel I have strayed from God. My girlfriend has brought me back but she attends a “happy clappy” evangelical church and everything about this church screams hypocracy to me. I have tried visited local Anglican churches in SW London but find them also to be heading towards the liberal happy clappy church.
I have my misgivings about certain Catholic beliefs, but am discussing these with my God Father (the only religious person in my family) who is a catholic. At the moment i still consider myself as an Anglo Catholic.
This is where my problem lies. I have recently commited several terrrible sins ( i would prefer not to go into them in my first post on this site) and want to confess them. Becuase of my sins I am having problems connecting with God. I also feel that confession through a priest is a good thing.
Although I was confirmed in the Anglican Church, and have not been through the adult Catholic conversion ceremony, would I be turned away from confession if I went to a Catholic Church? I am considering converting, if I can get over the remaning issues I have.
If I were to go to a Catholic Confession how would I start?
I am 23 years old so would it be “Forgive me father for I have sinned, It has been 23 years with no confession…” and then list my sins?
If not, what do I need to say, if I am allowed to confess to a Catholic priest that is.
Sorry for the long first post. I just want to regain my faith in God after many terrible things occuring in my family, and his faith in me after my sins and denials. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Yours,
Daniel Wright
During my 5 years at university I feel I have strayed from God. My girlfriend has brought me back but she attends a “happy clappy” evangelical church and everything about this church screams hypocracy to me. I have tried visited local Anglican churches in SW London but find them also to be heading towards the liberal happy clappy church.
I have my misgivings about certain Catholic beliefs, but am discussing these with my God Father (the only religious person in my family) who is a catholic. At the moment i still consider myself as an Anglo Catholic.
This is where my problem lies. I have recently commited several terrrible sins ( i would prefer not to go into them in my first post on this site) and want to confess them. Becuase of my sins I am having problems connecting with God. I also feel that confession through a priest is a good thing.
Although I was confirmed in the Anglican Church, and have not been through the adult Catholic conversion ceremony, would I be turned away from confession if I went to a Catholic Church? I am considering converting, if I can get over the remaning issues I have.
If I were to go to a Catholic Confession how would I start?
I am 23 years old so would it be “Forgive me father for I have sinned, It has been 23 years with no confession…” and then list my sins?
If not, what do I need to say, if I am allowed to confess to a Catholic priest that is.
Sorry for the long first post. I just want to regain my faith in God after many terrible things occuring in my family, and his faith in me after my sins and denials. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Yours,
Daniel Wright