Animals after death

  • Thread starter Thread starter lucky4075
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lucky4075

Guest
I’m kind of confused. The Church teaches that animals and humans have different souls, which seems very logical since only humans can choose God and have a sense of morality etc. So what exactly happens when a pet or animal dies? Their soul is just completely gone/ that’s it forever? I’d like to think that while their souls may not be immortal at least part of them is because they are part of Gods creation. I feel like that part of Gods creation (the animal or pet) will be a part of God eternal plan because they were created by Him. Anyone?
 
Animals have material souls. When they die, their body decays. Their soul does not persist after death.
 
I’m kind of confused. The Church teaches that animals and humans have different souls, which seems very logical since only humans can choose God and have a sense of morality etc. So what exactly happens when a pet or animal dies? Their soul is just completely gone/ that’s it forever? I’d like to think that while their souls may not be immortal at least part of them is because they are part of Gods creation. I feel like that part of Gods creation (the animal or pet) will be a part of God eternal plan because they were created by Him. Anyone?
1ke is right. When an animal dies its soul ceases to exist.
 
Well we know they have material souls. But we also know that in glimpses of Heaven from Isaiah that there are animals present. They are living in harmony with man, and the child is even playing with a cobra in it’s hole. We also know that the bible says creation itself is groaning for redemption.

So are animal souls inferior to humans? Likely so. Will they go to Heaven? We don’t know. With God all things are possible. The bible wasn’t written for animals but for humans, so it’s rightly silent on the issue.
 
I’m kind of confused. The Church teaches that animals and humans have different souls, which seems very logical since only humans can choose God and have a sense of morality etc. So what exactly happens when a pet or animal dies? Their soul is just completely gone/ that’s it forever? I’d like to think that while their souls may not be immortal at least part of them is because they are part of Gods creation. I feel like that part of Gods creation (the animal or pet) will be a part of God eternal plan because they were created by Him. Anyone?
The Church has no position on this. I do not see why we cannot think animals go to heaven. There are passages in the Bible that indicate this and yes, God made them and God loves them too so that I believe is the most important reason for believing animals go to heaven.
 
Well we know they have material souls. But we also know that in glimpses of Heaven from Isaiah that there are animals present. They are living in harmony with man, and the child is even playing with a cobra in it’s hole. We also know that the bible says creation itself is groaning for redemption.

So are animal souls inferior to humans? Likely so. Will they go to Heaven? We don’t know. With God all things are possible. The bible wasn’t written for animals but for humans, so it’s rightly silent on the issue.
The Church teaches that only humans have supernatural souls. By definition that means all other animals do not.
Its a different topic as to whether God might recreate animals for Heaven but when animals die they do not go to heaven.
 
The Church teaches that only humans have supernatural souls. By definition that means all other animals do not.
Its a different topic as to whether God might recreate animals for Heaven but when animals die they do not go to heaven.
Does an animal not having the same quality of soul as humans preclude God from being able to do anything he chooses? I agree that man has a different soul, one that has the ability to reason and determine moral choices. I disagree that that means animals will not be in heaven. It’s simply something we don’t know. Do we need pets in heaven? No. We would be very happy having only God to worship and adore forever. The simple fact is God doesn’t ‘need’ us in Heaven either… but he gives us the grace and hope of attaining it. So we cannot preclude that animals will not be there because there is no need.

I’m not saying my pets growing up will be in heaven. But I stop short of saying “I am sure they won’t be.”
 
The Church teaches that only humans have supernatural souls. By definition that means all other animals do not.
Its a different topic as to whether God might recreate animals for Heaven but when animals die they do not go to heaven.
That is my opinion. God still has the blueprints; so can easily restore them.

[Also, a few animals I have met are fortunate that there is not an afterlife; they wouldn’t be in Heaven. :D]
 
Does an animal not having the same quality of soul as humans preclude God from being able to do anything he chooses? I agree that man has a different soul, one that has the ability to reason and determine moral choices. I disagree that that means animals will not be in heaven. It’s simply something we don’t know. Do we need pets in heaven? No. We would be very happy having only God to worship and adore forever. The simple fact is God doesn’t ‘need’ us in Heaven either… but he gives us the grace and hope of attaining it. So we cannot preclude that animals will not be there because there is no need.

I’m not saying my pets growing up will be in heaven. But I stop short of saying “I am sure they won’t be.”
I agree. We’ll just have to wait and see. I know C.S. Lewis believed pets might well be in heaven. And, though it’s been a while since I read Peter Kreeft’s book about heaven, I think he thought along the same lines as Lewis about this question.

I hope they will be there.
 
Why doesn’t anyone get that there is soul and spirit and they are separate things? The spirit is the immortal part of us and animals do not have it, they only have souls.
 
I’m kind of confused. The Church teaches that animals and humans have different souls, which seems very logical since only humans can choose God and have a sense of morality etc. So what exactly happens when a pet or animal dies? Their soul is just completely gone/ that’s it forever? I’d like to think that while their souls may not be immortal at least part of them is because they are part of Gods creation. I feel like that part of Gods creation (the animal or pet) will be a part of God eternal plan because they were created by Him. Anyone?
I think they do…in watching and reading about death experiences of adults and children, they have been greated or have seen their dead pets, along with their deceased family members.

It would be more difficult to understand except, it appears a pattern…just like seeing a light or tunnel of light, during these experiences…
 
tough question, this one. It’s been brought up lately in my house. I just don’t know the answer with any certainty… Part says, no, but you look at your pet and think (sighs) why not?
 
I’m kind of confused. The Church teaches that animals and humans have different souls, which seems very logical since only humans can choose God and have a sense of morality etc. So what exactly happens when a pet or animal dies? Their soul is just completely gone/ that’s it forever? I’d like to think that while their souls may not be immortal at least part of them is because they are part of Gods creation. I feel like that part of Gods creation (the animal or pet) will be a part of God eternal plan because they were created by Him. Anyone?
The Church has no position on this. I do not see why we cannot think animals go to heaven. There are passages in the Bible that indicate this and yes, God made them and God loves them too so that I believe is the most important reason for believing animals go to heaven.
👍👍
 
Does an animal not having the same quality of soul as humans preclude God from being able to do anything he chooses? I agree that man has a different soul, one that has the ability to reason and determine moral choices. I disagree that that means animals will not be in heaven. It’s simply something we don’t know. Do we need pets in heaven? No. We would be very happy having only God to worship and adore forever. The simple fact is God doesn’t ‘need’ us in Heaven either… but he gives us the grace and hope of attaining it. So we cannot preclude that animals will not be there because there is no need.

I’m not saying my pets growing up will be in heaven. But I stop short of saying “I am sure they won’t be.”
I’m not saying there will not be animals in Heaven but if there are it won’t be because they went there when they died. The Church teaches only we have a supernatural end, not animals. For me that would mean if animals do go to Heaven when they die the Church teaching would be in error which of course it cannot be.
 
I’ve written this before in similar threads:

It is helpful, for yours truly, to think of animals as a reflection of the Almighty. Whether or not we see them in paradise is immaterial. Interesting to speculate, but immaterial.

We see God in every other human being. I think we see a bit of him in (nearly) every creature…

…except some cats that I’ve treated. They are a reflection of Voldemort. 😉
 
Going to Heaven (assuming we don’t go to the other place) is not the end. Going to Heaven is a waiting period (albeit eternity doesn’t have time).

At the end of the world, we will be resurrected into our bodies again (albeit they’ll be glorified), there’s the Last Judgment, and then there’s the New Heaven and the New Earth.
There’s every reason to believe that animals will be part of the new glorified earth, because we read about the Lion and the Lamb and all that peaceable kingdom stuff.

There’s a fair chance that individual animals will be part of this. They are certainly part of Creation, which we are told is groaning for salvation and will be saved. If rocks can be re-created in eternalness, so can other stuff.

So dogs maybe don’t go to Heaven because they don’t have eternal souls, but there’s nobody who can say they don’t show up again on the new and improved earth.
 
I’m not sure if animals are in Heaven or not, I know they don’t have immortal souls like we do, but I like to think I’ll see my cat and dog and many rats again.

Of course, I tend to think that when teh animal dies its soul is redirected back into creation. Like a transfer of energy, since energy can’t be destoryed [as is my tiny understanding of such science]. So, the animal’s mortal soul is energy, the body dies, the soul’s energy is dispersed back into nature in some way. I’m not talking about animal reincarnation, as in my cat Tinker’s soul became some neighbour’s new kitten’s soul. But perhaps part of her soul was recycled into some other animal as well as into some tree or grass or cockroach.

Honestly, I just don’t know. I don’t think any of us will ever know this side of life. But I don’t think its harmful to think about animals in Heaven so you may as well if it gives you comfort.
 
I’m not sure if animals are in Heaven or not, I know they don’t have immortal souls like we do, but I like to think I’ll see my cat and dog and many rats again.

Of course, I tend to think that when teh animal dies its soul is redirected back into creation. Like a transfer of energy, since energy can’t be destoryed [as is my tiny understanding of such science].** So, the animal’s mortal soul is energy, the body dies, the soul’s energy is dispersed back into nature in some way.** I’m not talking about animal reincarnation, as in my cat Tinker’s soul became some neighbour’s new kitten’s soul. But perhaps part of her soul was recycled into some other animal as well as into some tree or grass or cockroach.

Honestly, I just don’t know. I don’t think any of us will ever know this side of life. But I don’t think its harmful to think about animals in Heaven so you may as well if it gives you comfort.
NO. When the animal dies their soul simply ceases to exist. It is not recycled anywhere.

Also what seems strange to me is that some people might need the comfort of thinking their pet will be in Heaven when they get there. Personally I think that is an insult to God by implying the joy of eternal life in God’s presence is not sufficient.
 
Well we know they have material souls. But we also know that in glimpses of Heaven from Isaiah that there are animals present. They are living in harmony with man, and the child is even playing with a cobra in it’s hole. We also know that the bible says creation itself is groaning for redemption. .
Actually, that is the New Earth. There will be a new Heaven and a New Earth.

The new Earth will be populated with animals, that is certain, but they will not be immortal versions of the dog we had growning up. That cobra will be a new cobra.
 
NO. When the animal dies their soul simply ceases to exist. It is not recycled anywhere.

Also what seems strange to me is that some people might need the comfort of thinking their pet will be in Heaven when they get there. Personally I think that is an insult to God by implying the joy of eternal life in God’s presence is not sufficient.
It is because we are human and some of us want all we love to be with us, human and animals. Isn’t it an insult to God to decide what happens to any of His creatures?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top