Animators during the Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter H_Opey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
To get people “animated” during the new mass - leading them in all thothe thilly little gesturesss that go along with the opening and clothing thongs.
 
Pictures from the National Catholic Youth Conference in Kansas City Mass show Animators.
What are they? What is their function?
Not having seen this sort of thing personally (and not sure if I’d want to), I can but speculate. I suppose to animate is to bring something to life - so I would surmise that actions are performed to show what is happening in a Scripture reading for example.

The cynic in me would say that this sort of thing - well intentioned though it may be - turns the sanctuary into a stage. I did a quick search on animators at Mass, and though I didn’t immediately come across a description of their function, I found comments from animators about how great it was to perform at Mass. The Holy Mass is not a performance - not for the choir, the priest or anyone else involved in the sacred liturgy. The “Drama of the Mass”, as the Servant of God Fulton Sheen called it, should be sufficient. The drama of the Christ’s sacrifice on Calvary is presented before our eyes - and it is perfect. Something that is perfect does not need to rely on props. My :twocents: worth…
 
Rather than speculate, who don’t we just find out?

Youth Animator - Animators take lead roles in general session programming at NCYC as prayer leaders. These are the youth you see on stage leading prayer and worship during the conference. Applications are due April 15, 2009. Forms can be found on the Diocesan Youth Ministry Website. (from the NCYC webstie @ kcsjyouth.org/documents/2009%20NCYC%20FAQs%20(2).pdf)

The actual application is here (more info on what they do): dor.org/ec/documents/NCYCYouthAnimatorApplicationFinal.pdf take a look - it seems like a fairly involved selection process.

Now, while the picture does say “Animators at closing Mass” it does not say if they were there leading prayers before the Mass started or after Mass was concluded.
 
I think it is during the Mass.

Thanks Doc.

I think they are a cross between a cheer leader and cantor.
 
Zoomed in of some of them… :rolleyes:
I see a lot of this at my local youth conference… quite annoying, honestly. Especially during mass… it’s like pleasing yourself, and making yourself seem more "holy’’ in a popular way… but I guess don’t worry, they’ve received their reward.

I’m considering wearing a chapel veil to my next youth conf mass just to spite these kinds of people…😃
 
Sad. I wish I could say ‘shocking’ but alas, novelties and innovations are nothing new with the…ahem…new order.
 
From looking at the other pictures, at least they knelt when the Eucharist passed during the procession - that’s certainly positive.
 
Sad. I wish I could say ‘shocking’ but alas, novelties and innovations are nothing new with the…ahem…new order.
It’s just a bit too far… just a bit too Protestant… for a Catholic Church.

I mean at least they had this huge Eucharistic Procession through downtown. So they’re not without hope…

I had friends who went to this and all they’re talking about is the weird things they did… Oh we walked nine blocks every day, my roomate smoked in the bathroom, I convinced that chaperone I did drugs…

People need to mature in their faith. I think this is a good example of an immaturity of Catholic life. Probably it’s a product of our culture as well as… ahem… what Ockham said.
 
The amount of youth in the Eucharistic Procession was very positive to me.
I am sure those that organize this do their best to combine fun with learning.
That said…we are talking about the Mass not a retreat or party.

Are there any other conventions for the youth that have similar activities minus the Animators during the Mass?
 
The amount of youth in the Eucharistic Procession was very positive to me.
I am sure those that organize this do their best to combine fun with learning.
That said…we are talking about the Mass not a retreat or party.

Are there any other conventions for the youth that have similar activities minus the Animators during the Mass?
Honestly… I don’t think so. The only ones I’ve heard of are Stuebenville, a few local diocesan youth conferences, and NCYC(this one).

I wonder what the options are like in Europe(Poland/Italy etc)? From experience Catholic youth over there are far more reverent, and traditional. Praying that it catches on:)
 
Thanks for the link. It is evident they were having a lot of fun.

Is Stubenville similar to this?
 
\It’s just a bit too far… just a bit too Protestant… for a Catholic Church.\

**What’s Protestant about it? I’ve never seen this kind of thing in a Protestant church at all.
**
 
Who else was there?
because I was.
And I don’t recall them doing anything DURING the mass
I remember them before and after,
but not during
I know that on the agenda the whole evening after the last session was labeled as mass.
 
They weren’t leading the singing during the Mass?

Just out of curiosity, what were they doing after the Mass?
 
This may be of help I found on another thread…
yeah, I was pretty worried too, but our bishops (AB Naumann and Bishop Finn) are AMAZING and kept it good and orthodox. I was one of the 60-70 teen “animators” that was up there on stage dancing and singing and such during the conference, and I was scared that there’d be dancing during Mass, but the people who were in charge of us said that we were in a “strict and traditional diocese” that doesn’t allow dancing during Mass, so they told us to jump up on stage the minute the last clergy member stepped off (because that’s when the bishop said we could.) :rolleyes:
Hats off to the Diocese.
 
\It’s just a bit too far… just a bit too Protestant… for a Catholic Church.\

**What’s Protestant about it? I’ve never seen this kind of thing in a Protestant church at all.
**
I’m in the South… Protestant friends are members of Churches that are really big on this strange sort of “bodily praise.” Protestantism in the south is definitely of another breed:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top