Annullment before being Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prince_Hal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Prince_Hal

Guest
I am LDS and so is my wife. I would like to be Catholic, but there are several problems to overcome so as not to lose my family. A Father has told me to take things carefully. Here’s one problem: I was previously married, but there are strong reasons to suggest that this first marriage was invalid.

My question is whether I can seek an annullment of my first marriage, even if I am not in RCIA ? If so, how ?

Many thanks,

Hal.
 
I would suggest talking to the same father as he seems very prudent. Welcome. How does your wife feel - if you received an anullment would she be open to convalidation of your marriage if it were not valid - BTW- it may be valid - your priest would need to look into it.
 
Yes you can start the annulment process before joining RCIA, I started mine in Janurary 2009 and did not start RCIA until Sept. 2009. You should speak with the priest again about filing your initial application.
 
Hi Hal,
I was LDS when I received my annulment in 1994. I didn’t actually convert until 1999. In order to “please” my next husband, who is and has always been Catholic.

Praise God I did! I was able to enter into a marriage with my husband and receive all the wonderful sacraments when I became Catholic. I’d say do it!

Steph
 
I am LDS and so is my wife. I would like to be Catholic, but there are several problems to overcome so as not to lose my family. A Father has told me to take things carefully. Here’s one problem: I was previously married, but there are strong reasons to suggest that this first marriage was invalid.

My question is whether I can seek an annullment of my first marriage, even if I am not in RCIA ? If so, how ?

Many thanks,

Hal.
To be married is to have a life long fully unitied bond with a woman ordered to procreation. Attempted marriage is to have entered a ceremony with a desire to achieve the marriage standard but not having obtained the standards. If you remember that when talking to catholics it will help your communication
 
By all means, speak to a priest about this matter.

I will also note that: As an LDS, it is possible you are not validly baptized, which if that is the case your first marriage may be dissoluble under the Petrine or Pauline Privilege (depending on the baptismal status of your first spouse). I do not know whether this is “easier” than annulment, or just “different”.

tee
Not A Canon Lawyer
 
I : I was previously married, but there are strong reasons to suggest that this first marriage was invalid.

My question is whether I can seek an annullment of my first marriage, even if I am not in RCIA ? If so, how ?

Many thanks,

Hal.
anyone, even a non-Catholic, may petition the canon law tribunal of the Catholic diocese in which he resides, or in which the marriage took place, for an investigation and judgement if he feels his marriage, which has irretrievably broken down, was valid.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top