A
Angel_Bradford
Guest
I work with the RCIA class.
This week, Father scheduled a meeting with them individually to see how they were doing and if they intended to proceed.
Last night, one of the guys called me with some questions after his meeting with Father.
He’s never been baptized and is recently engaged to a parishioner who’s father is also in the class.
While talking with Father, the engagement came up as well as a prior marriage.
Long story short, he was married about 10 years ago by a judge in a backyard. They were married less than 5 years, there were no children and he has not seen or heard from her in almost that long.
Now I know he must apply for annulment before he can marry in the Church. He understands that and is willing to do that. He even remarked that he does not want to do anything that would keep the young lady from the sacraments.
However, Father has told him that he cannot come into the Church at the Easter vigil unless he is granted an annulment. While I’m not questioning Father, I can’t explain to the young man why this is so especially when I know that Father has brought other divorced people have joined the Church.
Can anyone help me understand this so I can explain it to him?
This week, Father scheduled a meeting with them individually to see how they were doing and if they intended to proceed.
Last night, one of the guys called me with some questions after his meeting with Father.
He’s never been baptized and is recently engaged to a parishioner who’s father is also in the class.
While talking with Father, the engagement came up as well as a prior marriage.
Long story short, he was married about 10 years ago by a judge in a backyard. They were married less than 5 years, there were no children and he has not seen or heard from her in almost that long.
Now I know he must apply for annulment before he can marry in the Church. He understands that and is willing to do that. He even remarked that he does not want to do anything that would keep the young lady from the sacraments.
However, Father has told him that he cannot come into the Church at the Easter vigil unless he is granted an annulment. While I’m not questioning Father, I can’t explain to the young man why this is so especially when I know that Father has brought other divorced people have joined the Church.
Can anyone help me understand this so I can explain it to him?