J
JRKH
Guest
I appreciate this, but you did in fact cause said distress by your choice of words in your OP. In this you are not the only one. I have been party to other threads on here where other posters make similar comments - equally distressing to those who have been through the system.I understand your concern and I certainly didn’t mean to cause distress in the minds of those to whom annulment have been granted.
My taking issue with it is my way of (hopefully) helping others recognize the hurt the can be caused and perhaps choose a different and more productive approach to the matter.
Entirely possible - but in which specific cases? This we do not know…and I have not heard the pope or anyone else suggest that previously granted annulments - in which no one has appealed the decision - should be reviewed and possibly overturned.Nevertheless, I have to be honest with you, when I hear that the pope argued strenuously against lowering the standards of canon law in order to “achieve a declaration of nullity at any cost" I have to assume that there have been abuses.
Interesting article - though I did not read it all. But as I say above…I see no mention of seeking to overturn previously granted annulments where the parties have not appealed a decision. So - just like a marriage (which might have a defect) will not be examined for nullity until someone seeks an annulment - a granted annulment will not be re-examined unless someone appeals the decision. Thus - the decree is valid.Now, hopefully things are different since the pope voiced his dismay—but obviously the Holy Father was concerned that people with valid marriages were being granted annulments. The problem we have today is that we live in very deceptive times. Here is an article about invalid annulments
Fine - then produce the statistics that show the abuses. Show the numbers applied for, the reasons given so we can break them down. Let’s get into the catechesis of the people involved etc. I mean - there is obviously a lot of data that would be needed in order to draw any meaningful conclusions. and the data isn’t available in sufficient numbers or detail, then we cannot draw any meaningful conclusions. So then what is the point of talking about it?Again,that is not the intention. The discussion is whether abuses in the system produce invalid annulments. …One thing that we should never be afraid of is the truth.
I disagree. A decision was handed down - that decision was appealed and the appeal was upheld thus reversing the lower tribunal’s decision. Nothing about this was “invalid”.The fact of the matter is that tribunals do produce invalid annulments. One example of this is the apparent annulment granted to Joseph Kennedy in 1996 by the Boston Tribunal. From what I gather, the annulment was subsequently overturned years later when his wife filed a complaint with the Vatican. Here is an article about it.
Now I know little about this case, but reading the article I would agree that there seems to have been some “shenanigans” going on that shouldn’t have but those irregularities do not equal an “invalid decree”…
The system worked as intended - The petition made and a finding was made in favor of nullity. The spouse disagreed and appealed to Rome. Rome overturned the previous finding.
The apparent issue with Sheila “not knowing” about her right to appeal…if true - is a sad testimony - However - it surely would have been simple enough for her to find out about the system for herself, more especially since she did not wish to see the marriage annulled.
To me, the bottom line is this…
If you want to have a productive discussion about the issues involved in “too many annulments” that is fine…but lets do it without claiming that tribunals are handing out “invalid annulments”…which they are not.
Peace
James