D
dcana
Guest
I have been having such a hard time in figuring out what the “best” Bible would be to read and study. I know many will say, “the one that you would use most” or advise to have many translations, if possible, and I’m sure that’s good advise to some extent but I would like to have “one” that I hold above the others, one that I would go to if there are differences in translations or if I wanted to memorize a passage, for example. I’ve read so much commentary on the pluses and minuses of the Vulgate/DR, NV, and RSV (these are the three I’m mostly looking at) and others that my head hurts. There are so many different opinions. I am well aware of what Trent said about the Vulgate, namely that it is free from teaching error in faith or morals, and this holds much sway with me. But we must keep in mind Pius XII’s encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu that says that biblical scholars should look at the many Hebrew and Greek manuscripts we have today and use sound scriptural scholarship in making future translations.
Sometimes I want to say “I’m using the RSV and that’s it” then I think I might as well use the Vulgate/DR; even if it might not be the most accurate Bible, at least I know what I read will be free of doctrinal error. One thing I don’t like about the OT of the DR is that it, naturally enough, uses the Greek forms of Hebrew personal and place names. I much prefer using Hebrew for Hebrew names of persons and places. For one thing, that’s what everybody does these days, Catholic and Protestant. A while ago a missionary priest was discussing Osee’s wife and I had no idea who he was referring to (Hosea). And call me critical (I agree with you) but I hate all the apostrophes used in the OT names in the RSV. For me, they detract from the flow of reading and provide no real useful information. Simply knowing where the accent is is insufficient if you want to know how to correctly pronounce many Hebrew proper names. For that information one needs a pronunciation dictionary (I saw one in a Sacristy once - presumably for the lectors’ use).
It seems to me the “best” Bible would be based on the Vulgate and use original language manuscripts that we have today to modify it where necessary to make it more literally accurate. However, if the passage unambiguously touches on faith or morals, or if there is much disagreement between different manuscripts as to what the most accurate wording would be, then the Vulgate should be kept as is. So, my question is, does such a version exist? Doesn’t the New Vulgate purport to be exactly that? If so, why do so many have such a problem with it? (those who can read Latin, anyway). I guess the most important question is, in its goal to more accurately reflect the original authors’ words, have errors in faith or morals crept in? If so, what are some examples? In one of his posts (http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=5896692&postcount=14), RonConte says that,
“The Nova Vulgata has some serious scholarly issues. Some sections are merely a light edit of the Clementine Vulgate. Other sections are substantially revised and even retranslated based on the Hebrew and Greek. This causes the Nova Vulgata to depart from the Latin Scriptural tradition, so that the Nova Vulgata does not fit the statement of the Council of Trent on the authority of the ‘old’ Latin Vulgate. The Nova Vulgata has not been in use for centuries, and it is not representative of the oldest Latin editions. Also, certain sections of the Nova Vulgata have translated the Greek or Hebrew loosely, much like a paraphrase translation. This makes the NV unsuitable as the source text for a translation into the vernacular.”
If much improvement can be made on Jerome’s translation, owing to him having a much more limited set of manuscripts to work from, or for whatever reason, what is wrong with “retranslating it based on the Hebrew and Greek” as long as it does not make any changes to the “faith and morals” of the Vulgate? Isn’t that what DAS is all about? His major second point on its purportedly loose translation of the Hebrew or Greek would be another, separate problem with the NV, if true. I, for one, have no idea. I’ll have to defer to Mr. Conte’s opinion.
Sometimes I want to say “I’m using the RSV and that’s it” then I think I might as well use the Vulgate/DR; even if it might not be the most accurate Bible, at least I know what I read will be free of doctrinal error. One thing I don’t like about the OT of the DR is that it, naturally enough, uses the Greek forms of Hebrew personal and place names. I much prefer using Hebrew for Hebrew names of persons and places. For one thing, that’s what everybody does these days, Catholic and Protestant. A while ago a missionary priest was discussing Osee’s wife and I had no idea who he was referring to (Hosea). And call me critical (I agree with you) but I hate all the apostrophes used in the OT names in the RSV. For me, they detract from the flow of reading and provide no real useful information. Simply knowing where the accent is is insufficient if you want to know how to correctly pronounce many Hebrew proper names. For that information one needs a pronunciation dictionary (I saw one in a Sacristy once - presumably for the lectors’ use).
It seems to me the “best” Bible would be based on the Vulgate and use original language manuscripts that we have today to modify it where necessary to make it more literally accurate. However, if the passage unambiguously touches on faith or morals, or if there is much disagreement between different manuscripts as to what the most accurate wording would be, then the Vulgate should be kept as is. So, my question is, does such a version exist? Doesn’t the New Vulgate purport to be exactly that? If so, why do so many have such a problem with it? (those who can read Latin, anyway). I guess the most important question is, in its goal to more accurately reflect the original authors’ words, have errors in faith or morals crept in? If so, what are some examples? In one of his posts (http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=5896692&postcount=14), RonConte says that,
“The Nova Vulgata has some serious scholarly issues. Some sections are merely a light edit of the Clementine Vulgate. Other sections are substantially revised and even retranslated based on the Hebrew and Greek. This causes the Nova Vulgata to depart from the Latin Scriptural tradition, so that the Nova Vulgata does not fit the statement of the Council of Trent on the authority of the ‘old’ Latin Vulgate. The Nova Vulgata has not been in use for centuries, and it is not representative of the oldest Latin editions. Also, certain sections of the Nova Vulgata have translated the Greek or Hebrew loosely, much like a paraphrase translation. This makes the NV unsuitable as the source text for a translation into the vernacular.”
If much improvement can be made on Jerome’s translation, owing to him having a much more limited set of manuscripts to work from, or for whatever reason, what is wrong with “retranslating it based on the Hebrew and Greek” as long as it does not make any changes to the “faith and morals” of the Vulgate? Isn’t that what DAS is all about? His major second point on its purportedly loose translation of the Hebrew or Greek would be another, separate problem with the NV, if true. I, for one, have no idea. I’ll have to defer to Mr. Conte’s opinion.