Another Deacon Question

• Thread starter Thread starter BeatrixKiddo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BeatrixKiddo

Alright i know it will seem as though i am harping on this… but i’m having a few more doubts with the deacon at my church. I was recentally confirmed after about two years of classes. Confirmation was a huge deal for me it changed my life dramatically it is a very important aspect of my life. The problem i am having is that during my classes it seemed like people weren’t really being confirmed to the catholic faith. People in the class were aloud to believe whatever they seemed fit. There were arguments about wether christ was human or human LIKE and the when a leader was asked he said it was alright to say he was human like if that is what you truly felt. Another incident was when the deacon said that we should not take the story of Adam and Eve seriously because it was all just a myth and that anyone else who had told us differently was simply wrong. A few years back, i remember him also mentioning that maybe being homosexual was okay because Jesus could have been considering that he was alone with only men for most of his life and that we should accept homosexuals in our church. These are just some of the things that have frustrated me, i don’t know if i am perhaps being too hard on the deacon because he is a man that works for the church. Any advice you can give me for what i should do about this is greatly appreciated thank you!

It sounds like the Holy Spirit is already “at work” in your life. You knew enough about the truth to be annoyed.

This kind of stuff goes on a lot. It is a real shame that they always seem to be in teaching positions.

I have a friend who came into the Church several years ago. He is a very strong and faithful Catholic, but every once in a blue moon he doubts if he is a real Catholic because he was taught by a “free thinking” instructor. (You know, there should be only 3 sacraments not 7; women will be priest with the next pope; etc.)

My point is once confirmed we should not stop learning. Use organizations like Catholic Answers to keep you in line with the truth. And when you get comfortable enough with it you could go back to the instructor and instruct him in the truth; in a loving but firm way.

Keep the faith
Kevin

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.”
Ephesians 6:10

40.png
BeatrixKiddo:
Alright i know it will seem as though i am harping on this… but i’m having a few more doubts with the deacon at my church. I was recentally confirmed after about two years of classes. Confirmation was a huge deal for me it changed my life dramatically it is a very important aspect of my life. The problem i am having is that during my classes it seemed like people weren’t really being confirmed to the catholic faith. People in the class were aloud to believe whatever they seemed fit. There were arguments about wether christ was human or human LIKE and the when a leader was asked he said it was alright to say he was human like if that is what you truly felt. Another incident was when the deacon said that we should not take the story of Adam and Eve seriously because it was all just a myth and that anyone else who had told us differently was simply wrong. A few years back, i remember him also mentioning that maybe being homosexual was okay because Jesus could have been considering that he was alone with only men for most of his life and that we should accept homosexuals in our church. These are just some of the things that have frustrated me, i don’t know if i am perhaps being too hard on the deacon because he is a man that works for the church. Any advice you can give me for what i should do about this is greatly appreciated thank you!
If an ordained deacon taught what you wrote above in an RCIA class, I would most certainly talk to the Bishop. That’s simply unacceptable.

Horrid catechesis is one reason (the primary reason?) that the Church is facing such difficult times today…

40.png
BeatrixKiddo:
Well, it’s certainly not “alright” in the context of Catholic teaching to say Christ was only “human-LIKE.” That is a specific heresy, dealt with at the First Council of Nicea and subsequently. Believing heresy is certainly a freedon that citizens have, but it is not a teaching option for deacons OR laity.

That said the problem is with the deacon or the teaching he received, not with the order of deacons or the dicaonate in general.

Pax Christi!

I am currently in formation to be a Deacon and I have to admit that I have heard much the same MUSH from many deacons in my archdiocese. The problem is that many of these deacons have malformed vocations. They were formed decades ago when many seminaries were run by disobedient and unfaithful academics and clerics.

They hear what a dissident Bible scholar says and then try to make sense of it. They hear what other deacons say and then they simply repeat it. I firmly believe that very few of these deacons are deliberate in their dissent, they just don’t know any better. I turn on my BS radar when I run into a deacon ordained from 1970’s to 1990’s. It’s a sad legacy to St. Stephen, but it is what it is.

Take heart because many of these deacons are tireless workers for Christ even though they don’t have the vocabulary or heart of the modern faithful. What you see in your parish is not what a deacon is primarily ordained to do. Deacons are called as ordained clergy to primarily serve the marginalized. For example I know a deacon who tirelessly gives of himself to the mentally disturbed. Yet his liturgical actions and his views on the Pope are nothing short of mumbo jumbo. If he ever read the GIRM or Canon Law I would be blown away. Yet he is there day in day out bringing the Church and the love of Christ to those society has forgotten. God does do great work even through the most broken servant.

Secondly things are changing! What started in the late 80’s with the new breed of faithful priest loyal to the Pope is now bearing much fruit. These priests are establishing themselves in positions of authority and they are clearing the way for faithful deacons to assist them. In our diocese many involved with the old formation program have been given a reassignment. Our class of deacons this year even include some who have been readmitted to formation who just a few years ago were asked to step down because it was felt they were to orthodox.

The best advice I have is to pray for those who present scandal to you. Don’t accept the scandal in your heart and loose sight of the fact that God works in powerful ways through these deacons nonetheless. Secondly I suggest you study your catechism so you can charitably show what the Church actually teaches. Remember most deacons were ordained well before the CCC was published and their understanding of the Vatican II church was shaped by the misguided opinions of contending radical movements and theologians.

Peter calls us all to give an account of what we believe with reverence and charity. To vilify a deacon who in your opinion is not up to snuff is a short step away from denying the Holy Spirit called this man to serve His Church. Pray for him because God has a special plan in mind for the Deacon in your parish.

Peace

PS I can use your prayers too as I progess through my formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back